Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best jobs for D5H LGP

cannuck ยท 2016-10-02 07:34

I recently bought a D5H with 6 way blade to clear land, build roads, level pads, etc. on our little farm (raw land). I was going to grab a cheap piece with a few hours left, but decided I did not need another thing to fix when time is at a premium. So, stumbled across a 1995 D5H with cab, LGP, no attachments, but 6.5k hours, 200 hr undercarriage and blade as above. It came from a long time small dealer who took it on trade from a neighbour - so its history is well known. Everything works as advertised, so I will bring it home when the last of equipment scattered all over 4 jobsites are back in the yard (1,000 kms away for some) for winter. It was important to me to stay pre-electronic (I will fix myself), and I already have a couple of D330 gensets, so somewhat familiar with the engine. Beyond that, I confess to near total ignorance about dozers. I have operated an ancient D6 a wee bit, but getting close to the end of the last century will be a new experience, for sure. What are the good (and bad) highlights/features of this machine in this configuration? What is the sweet spot for jobs I should be chasing? I have an experienced operator available, not at all interested in putting it out on rent unless I can control both operation and maintenance. Comments?

Replies5
  1. #1nicky 68a2016-10-02 09:05

    I have had one of these tractors for nearly 20 years and it's been the best of about 13 cat dozers that I've owned

  2. #2cannuck2016-10-02 09:22

    Was yours made in France or Japan? Which is the preferred?

  3. #3farmin2016-10-02 10:34

    Got a 1989 model. It's a tough old girl. The few issues I've had I've found help here and have never had to have CAT out to help fix. It's a simple machine and if I ever upgraded to something bigger or slightly less used I'd try to stay pre electronic again. I'm not sure where my machine was made I'm kind of curious now.

  4. #4cannuck2016-10-08 23:57

    I have to bring this new lawn ornament home, and I guess the first question for that is how best to tie it down to the trailer. I will use a rented single drop tandem beavertail (don't know if my rollback will lift 34k so will not take a chance until it is home in yard). Since I have a drawbar, I am assuming a pair of doubled over 1/2" grade 70 transport chains will meet the required brake (or crash) load of 80% if at sufficient angle. BUT: what do I do at the front? Blade has to be full sweep to get under 12'6" max for no pilot car, and I am not at all crazy about chaining up directly to the 34" track pads. What works and is legal?

  5. #5DoyleX2016-10-09 09:01

    Too bad your on the other side of the pond. I'd be first in line for yours when it comes time!