Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best lifting attachment

Helirich · 2024-03-02 11:04

My bobcat miniX doesn’t have any thing to hook a chain or rope on for lifting. I was thinking of welding on some kind of hook or ring. Maybe a clevis “D” . I really don’t know exactly what I want. Also, where exactly where would be the best place to weld it? Any recommendations would be welcome.

Replies17
  1. #1MG842024-03-02 11:21

    I always like a chain grab hook welded on the back of the bucket about where the bucket ears stop. Needs to be high enough it doesn’t drag the ground when using the heel of the bucket, but still easy to access. Seems like a lot of people use straps for lifting nowadays, but I still like the chain/hook for the adjustability.

  2. #2skyking12024-03-02 11:29

    That can come unhooked. I welded on Gunnebos on my bucket, but now that I have had them for a while I would go with the plain loop. You can put a shackle in it. That one happens to be from Bobcat, but you can cut your own from plate. https://shop.bobcat.com/eye-lift-for-excavators-7231723 I wouldn't pay $156 for that. Gunnebo safety hook for example. I paid about $70 for those.

  3. #3keif2024-03-02 11:43

    Quick coupler or pin on bucket?

  4. #4CM19952024-03-02 12:50

    What are you lifting and how often? There are many different ways to do this safely and efficiently. We use shackles and self closing hooks on our big hoes. Have a couple of these - Cartec 5/8" Grade 100 Self-Closing Swivel Hook - 22600 lbs WLL Cartec 5/8" Grade 100 Self-Closing Swivel Hook - 22600 lbs WLL | Buy Online | Lifting.com lifting.com

  5. #5BC Placer gold2024-03-03 21:05

    We have that second type you show on our 210 buckets (built by Destec in Kamloops). Welded on to bucket with the thick baseplate you show in photo. They also welded on the typical plain loop style.

  6. #6Helirich2024-03-08 12:02

    It has the TAG quick pin bucket. Not really lifting anything but logs with the thumb right now, just looking ahead. I ordered some chain hooks from the bay. I guess I’ll be welding them on the bucket.

  7. #7cfherrman2024-03-08 17:49

    I've seen lots of hooks welded on, not the weld on hooks just regular hooks....lol D rings are nice but the single hole is great for low profile

  8. #8skyking12024-03-08 18:15

    Not having it come unhooked is a real bonus. Besides all that safety stuff, when you're working by yourself and it comes unhooked because it's not a secure connection, after you climbed back in the machine that right there is pretty annoying..

  9. #9Helirich2024-03-26 14:04

    So I got some chain hooks and my new (wide) bucket. The excavator is at my other property 60 miles away. I want to weld the chain hook on the new bucket before I bring it there. Do any of you guys got pics of where you welded yours? Is there something I should be looking out for? Do you think it is stupid to weld it on when the excavator is not present? I sure wouldn’t want to have it interfere some how.

  10. #10phil3142024-03-26 15:37

    Probably overkill, but since I had the welder out. Put 2 chain hooks on for lifting un-even or odd weighted stuff. Also put a mount hole for a clevis to lift with straps. clevis mount is for a bumper weldon for jeep/4x4's.

  11. #11IceHole2024-03-26 17:38

    Mine is part of the coupler. Has a lock for it too. Hitachi zx40

  12. #12skyking12024-03-26 18:37

    you welded your unrated bumper D-ring to the wear plate. That's not a good idea. The wear plate is some AR 400 that is not matched with the structural steel of the bucket. That weld between those two is not designed to pick loads. You want a longer plate than that and welded to the bucket, not the wear strip. It does not need to be anything special, just piece of 3/4" thick A36 will do. Cut it out with a torch and grind it smooth.

  13. #13stumpjumper832024-03-26 21:45

    Your already done with that bucket, but 1 thing I've found is to have a lift point on the coupler. In mini excavators, the lift at reach might only be 1 ton, and you have a 300 pound bucket there already... drop the bucket add capacity. As for the comment about welding to wear bars, he's probably 100% correct, but I don't think I'd be as concerned as I would be if that was a 30 ton hoe instead of a 3 ton model

  14. #14PeterG2024-03-27 13:04

    Welded loop on the bucket, shackles, and assorted sizes and lengths, and pairs of Lift-All Tuflex Endless Loop Eye Slings. These Eye Slings feature a texturized, abrasion-resistant nylon jacket that covers the sling body where abrasion is a problem. I also of course use chains. But I don't like grab hooks, because I hate to set it all up and then get on the machine and the grab hook fell off due to lack of tension. Also, slings don't scrape up (if that's a concern). Slings are great when set up to self tighten around and object. My bigger Takeuchi has lifting loops on the coupler, so as said by Stumpjumper remove the bucket weight or use your smallest bucket.

  15. #15MG842024-03-27 20:59

    You probably don't want to re-do it now, but the D ring is too low and could drag in the dirt when you use heel of the bucket to smooth something. Also, I agree welding it to that wear bar is not a good idea. Directly between where you mounted the hooks is the proper location for either a hook or a D-ring, just make sure there is enough clearance to the coupler.

  16. #16Helirich2024-03-28 21:22

    I like the idea of added capacity. I may weld one on the bucket and figure out another on the coupler for max lift.

  17. #17Indolift2024-08-05 02:52

    Welding a lifting point onto your Bobcat miniX is a practical solution, and using a D-shackle is an excellent choice for this purpose.