Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

best lincoln flux core in .045

walkerv · 2016-08-29 13:00

I have a miller 325 trailblazer on the service truck , and a brand new miller suitcase in the truck , will be doing general repairs on eguipment out in the field to much wind to use dual shield . Lincoln wire is the easiest for me to get local so I'm looking for some good recomendations on all position flux core in .045 , it will be used on excavators dozers and landfill compactors mostly general repairs and on occasion a bucket repair

Replies15
  1. #1StanRUS2016-08-29 17:13

    Go to Lincoln website-consumables-Innershield. NR-211Mp is popular but not impact rated, ditto NR-212 these wires cost approx $2.50 per lb...NR-232, NR-233 SEMA rated wires cost with discount approx $4.50per lb. NR-232 is hard to run; requires correct wire to puddle angle, contact tip to work length and voltage amperage settings. Lincoln has a training video on U tube! 0.045" too small of a diameter (weld sheet metal), you'll want 0.068"-O.072" diameter wire...compared to OuterShield (Dual-Shield) Innershield DOES NOT LAY DOWN comparable pounds per hour. Lots of independents use Outershield in field environment, just requires a weld blanket (with 3/8" re-bar) or Aluminum Street Sign etc to break the breeze (wind)...The guys working hourly mostly stick with Innershield, LOL

  2. #2walkerv2016-08-29 20:22

    I will look at the .068 as well maybe get one if reach for diff tasks. I think my feed wheels are for both those sizes I may try a dual shield also I'd all I have to do is break the breeze a little. I'm hourly but I don't intentionally waste time especially welding in the hot southern sun

  3. #3lantraxco2016-08-29 21:48

    Don't know from flux core (Innershield) we use Lincoln dual shield ULTRACORE® 71A85 with 75/25 gas in .045, Lincoln also offers it in .052 and 1/16". Give it a try if you can, you'll never look back! If you get a lot of wind, you just need a chunk of plywood or cardboard, no worries.

  4. #4Firemanmike692016-08-31 22:00

    Do you have the flux core gun on the suitcase? I agree with lantraxco the Lincoln ultracore runs pretty slick if you have a windbreak, just got done running about 170# of it on a dumptruck liner kit

  5. #5walkerv2016-08-31 22:53

    My suitcase is a full mig set up just wasn't sure how it would do welding outside. I haven't had chance to look at that wire yet or my feed roll sizes. Would this ultra core work good welding on new wear strips on my excavator buckets along with general fixes

  6. #6lantraxco2016-09-01 00:51

    I think it would be very good for that kind of work, we do a little repair, but mostly fabbing up new frames out of rectangular tube and A656-80. We selected this wire based on the close match to the plate strength, the high yield strength and good Charpy numbers. It's an easy to run all position wire that can sometimes make even me look like a good weldor... comes in 15 lb or 33 lb spools. I'm not selling it, it's just worked really well for us. YMMV Here's a link to the sheet: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...s-Shielded-UltraCore-UltraCore71A85/c3126.pdf

  7. #7lantraxco2016-09-01 00:56

    Hey that sounds like fun! Got any pictures?

  8. #8Firemanmike692016-09-01 06:59

    Threw some pics up Wear liners for komatsu hd 465 HeavyEquipmentForums

  9. #9StanRUS2016-09-01 11:08

    Lincoln manufactured gas shielding mig wires products are OUTERSHIELD, ESAB (Linde) are 'DUALSHIELD', Hobart 'EXCEL-ARC' all registered trademarks. Hobart Excel-Arc 71 can be used out of parameters, e.g. wire speed increased (increased amperage-voltage) beyond max recommended; speeds up the job. When using any of the gas shielded wires with Argon-CO2 you'll experience tip sticking caused by over heating if you're pushing the maximum settings; simple solution use 100% CO2.

  10. #10gtermini2016-09-01 11:13

    Quite a bit cheaper to run, especially when you crank it up to fight a breeze. Greyson

  11. #11Williams Marine2016-09-03 01:30

    LoL !!!!

  12. #12walkerv2016-09-03 01:41

    We have 4 big bottles of 25/75 on site and only one mig welder in the shop until I get the rest of my stuff ordered to hook up the suitcase .so I'm not to worried about waste or cost if it's really windy and it's something I can get down to the shop I would weld it there rather then fight a windstorm. we are lucky to go thru a bottle a year most years .

  13. #13StanRUS2016-09-03 12:17

    Couple links pertaining to Wasting Shielding Gas! http://www.netwelding.com/MIG_Flow Rate-Chart.htm Free pdf FLOW CHART and scroll downward; Portable Flow Meter, handy to check gas flow @ the welding nozzle. http://www.netwelding.com/sales_literature.htm#Why_Gas_Supplier Educational!

  14. #14walkerv2016-09-03 15:23

    that was a good read stanrus may have to look into that a little more , the shop lincoln mig welder blasts shielding gas out at the start, sound like that would definatly cure that issue and explains why i get alot of crappy starts out of it even though i dont use excessive cfh

  15. #15walkerv2016-09-03 15:36

    looked it up at air gas it is 2.26 a pound which is reasonable, but some quick internet searching and you can find it well under 1.50 a pound .