I have a piece of equipment that has an Allison AT545 trans in it. I'd like to move the hydraulic pump to the transmission from the motor because of a long list of reasons I don't have time to type However I'm a complete newb on PTOs. I'll be putting a fresh trans in at the same time and the Weller Truck store that I'd be getting it from recommended a Chelsea 230 series PTO. It's air activated because I'll be kicking it in and out a lot. Here's my questions: Does the transmission have to be in neutral to power the PTO, or will it work in drive/reverse also? I ask that because this has hydraulic steering on it and I'll need hydraulic power as its being driven. Some told me yes but it will make horrible noises while being driven. I don't want to tear anything up, I just need a setup that works. Thanks for any and all help here. Justin
So what you are really calling the hydraulic pump is in reality the power steering pump for this "truck or whatever we are talking about"? And if that is the case why would you be "kicking it in and out"? Guess to make an educated answer people need to have a better description of what this application is in reality!
not all 545 allisons have pto gears in the trans check it out before you commit
No it's a 20 GPM hydraulic pump. The steering is just one of several hydraulic functions it has. I can't have the pump running when a hydraulic motor is in float because it will run dry (I've learned from experience). Right now I have an electric clutch on the pump. This piece of equipment is a tractor pulling sled. I did check and I do have the PTO gear so I'm good to go there. Thanks, Justin
Not familiar with the 545, some allisons the PTO gear changes ratios to the crankshaft as one of the gear changes happens ahead of the PTO gear.
They have it listed as a powershift pto http://www.phtruck.com/download/chelsea/PTO_FLYERS/English/230Series.pdf A call would make sure there are so many different ways they can be set up I have used some that had to be in gear to shift, some that hotshift, some that shut off when you leave neutral