Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best Machine for the job

Bwillmoth13 ยท 2016-01-17 16:55

My family and I recently bought a farm, and need to get some work done. There is a pond on the property already that needs to be cleaned out, we also need to clear fence rows and pasture. We are also looking at clearing paths through the woods, and building a dam so that we can have a bigger pond. We don't have any experience with construction equipment. What do you all think would be the best machine for the job? If it can't do them all that's ok, just something that could do most of them. We are looking to spend anywhere from 20 and below. Time is not a problem, so if it is a smaller machine and may take a while, that is fine. All of the land is pretty hilly, and there are some trees that need to be taken out that are upwards of 25 inches in diameter, but those can always be cut down. The farm is located in northern Kentucky.

Replies10
  1. #1Outlaw73172016-01-17 17:19

    I would look for something in the D6 range. There's several configurations to choose from so you'll have to do some research. Several older machines can be picked up in your price range

  2. #2Nitelite2016-01-17 19:41

    You might consider a track loader. A loader would do everything that you are talking about.

  3. #3Willie B2016-01-19 21:07

    Tractor loader backhoe. the biggest you can buy in price range. With an extend a hoe feature you can push down very large trees, usually taking out stumps in the process. You can clean a pond 50 feet in width. It'll move itself sideways if necessary, or pull itself out of mud, or snow. I have a Case 580K with extend a hoe. Trees, I set the teeth in the trunk of a large tree 12 feet above the ground, and push with e hoe. It takes a few repetitions, but leverage wins. Without moving the tractor, I smooth out the ground. After cutting up the tree, I scoop up the stump, and move it to the burn pile. A 4 in one bucket, and thumb are very nice accessories.

  4. #4vcat2016-01-20 10:04

    I agree with Willie B. I have a similar situation and have done most of the work with a backhoe. I have a Cat 420D (extend a hoe and 4x4). The extend a hoe used at 10-12 feet up will take out most trees 24" and larger. If you have to dig them out the backhoe is ideal. I do clean up with a dozer but could use the hoe. The front bucket will not only haul dirt or gravel but acts as a small blade also. I bought a dozer and a backhoe with the idea of using the dozer for most jobs and the hoe as a back up. Over the past 3 years it has been just the opposite. I don't have a track loader. I can see where they would be good for farm or ranch maintenance. You could do a variety of jobs with one and only own one machine. Same thing goes for a backhoe. If I had only one machine for farm maintenance and repair It would have to be a backhoe.

  5. #5Willie B2016-01-20 18:05

    If time weren't a factor, a track (crawler) loader with backhoe is perfect as an only machine. In my case I have two pieces of property 3 miles apart. In minutes I can travel that far with the backhoe. I just bought a dozer, but even crossing the paved road means either waiting for heavy snow, or the trailer. Small excavators are great until you need to dig out a giant rock, or load a truck, or move a large pile, or move the machine three miles. Then the backhoe looks better. I've lived a lifetime without a dozer, the backhoe is very versatile. Grading, or logging is when a crawler is appreciated.

  6. #6OMF2016-01-20 23:14

    I think If you could find a good 955 track loader, it might be just right....not too big, not too small. The lack of electronics will also be a bonus too.

  7. #7guisep32016-01-21 21:17

    Completely agree, I have a 955L and it is a monster! Great power, great flexibility and definitely costs under 20k.

  8. #8stumpjumper832016-01-21 21:41

    td15c, angle blade and a winch. 40,000 pounds of perfection on tracks. Best part, nice ones are under your price range. btw, 955's are d6's with buckets, and d6c's are cats attempt at matching a td15c, but the 15 trumps it.

  9. #9Willie B2016-01-21 21:58

    Got A 175 loader in good useable condition up the road for asking of $6800. Needs a cross member welded in rear. Trucking would likely bring the cost to 10,000, net cost of $ .20 a pound. That's almost scrap price!

  10. #10RonG2016-01-22 04:39

    I have run a lot of dozers in my lifetime and I have to say that the TD-15C stands out as one of the best dozers I ever ran.It does everything well and it keeps on doing it and it is good on fuel.Ron G