I have some generic grease gun, I'm not sure where I picked it up. I did buy it new, but I noticed today when I was greasing the backhoe that it leaks a lot around the connection between the grease gun and the fitting. Also between the screw on tip and the hose as well. So I was wondering, what is a good brand of grease gun that fits well and will last a long time? It would be a big plus if it was easy to attach and remove since the current gun I have is difficult to remove after greasing.
Check out the Alemite 500.
LockNLube couplers work great. https://locknlube.com/ Maybe a wrench to tighten the hose up?
When I used to use manual grease guns, I would always watch for the Lincoln cast head grease guns to go on sale at Napa. They used to be $20-$25 on sale. No idea what they run these days. I still have several that I use on rare occasions and they still work very well. Anything that was made of stamped parts or less than a cast head was avoided because they never lasted very long, no matter how fancy they were. If a tool does not last me a long time, it's costing me money. I've been tempted to purchase a LocknLube lever gun because you can relieve the pressure if a fitting is bad and not accepting grease - this normally kills a push on type couple after a couple of bad fittings. It's tough to lay out over $100 for a manual grease gun that I won't likely use 6 times in a year. I've switched over to all pneumatic keg greasers to save time and money so the manual guns are only used in a pinch. If I was to choose a long term gun, I would certainly consider the LocknLube along side the Lincoln. If money is not an option, I would try the LnL. I have their 10ksi foot operated greaser for a specialty grease and that system works extremely well. Not cheap to purchase but it works well and the grease filler tool works well, too. As Mike_27 mentioned, LnL couplers are the way to go. I've tried the Chinese knock-offs and they don't last anywhere near as long, maybe 6 month to a year, and can't be rebuilt. I have several LnL couplers and I usually get about 2 years use before using the rebuild kit that came with it. Typically, push on couplers last me 2 weeks to 2 months if I'm lucky, sometimes 2 days. Time is money and the math is pretty easy on this one. $30 with a rebuild kit and no hassles for a year or more - to me, that makes good logical sense.
X2 on the Lock-N-Lube and get an 18V Milwaukee cordless grease gun, well worth the money.
The Lock-N-Lube is available in a long reach model with a rebuild kit included.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I just ordered the LockNLube Lever Grip, with the grease coupler. it had very good reviews, and I am looking forward to using it. When I end up running more equipment than the old backhoe I will probably upgrade to an electric grease gun of some sort. Again thanks for all the help, I'll let you know what I think once the gun comes in!
You must have posted when I did, I didn't see the long reach I may have to order that, it looks handy.
I recently, within the last year, bought a cordless Milwaukee grease gun. It is awesome! I have no idea why I waited so long. I also purchased a lock n lube swivel and coupler. The coupling works great, but it's a little bulky. I am going to keep the original around for tight for spaces. Probably Install a zerk on the end and just clip it to the lock n lube fitting when needed. Go for a powered name brand unit; Milwaukee or DeWalt. You won't regret it