Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

best oil type for JD 410 backhoe (diesel)

Bryanbdp · 2022-05-24 13:25

Hi. New to heavy equipment. Manual recommends straight 30w. Is 15w/40 rotella, or Delvac a good choice, or is straight 30 the way to go?

Replies9
  1. #1Delmer2022-05-24 14:41

    15w40 is fine. I'm surprised the manual says that, this must be the old straight 410? no A,B,

  2. #2Bryanbdp2022-05-24 14:54

    Yah, older 410 Not even sure what year, the serial number is the old style, not a vin What would you recommend for a reasonable hydraulic oil? Tractor supply seems to have a decent price on it's Traveler brand J20C, 5 gals for $52.99 Don't want to spend a lot until all the leaks are fixed, but I also don't want to wreck the thing.

  3. #3Delmer2022-05-24 16:27

    Engine oil is easy, hydraulic oil is tough. Does that have shared hydraulic oil with the transmission, and a powershift transmission? NOT a torque converter, reverser and gear shift? or what? You don't mess with the powershift trans, and if it's shared oil, you can't change the oil practically, so you're more constantly topping it up, even if you drain the 5 gallons that will drain, there's still 20 in the hydraulic system.

  4. #4Bryanbdp2022-05-24 20:33

    it has a dry clutch, which is almost never used, and then the reverser unit allows switching from forward to reverse. Trans is unsynchronized. brakes are internal, and fluid is shared. The manual calls for J20A, and I think J20C is newer and better.

  5. #5Bryanbdp2022-05-24 20:35

    Traveller 590901 Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid is a specially formulated, premium multigrade (SAE 10W-30) fluid blended with the highest quality lubricating oils and the most technologically advanced additive system. Provides superior protection and performance for modern farm equipment Employs a common sump to lubricate hydrostatic transmissions, differentials, wet brakes, hydraulics and final drives gears Premium Tractor Fluid is a premium, multi-purpose lubricant formulated from select base stocks and an advanced additive system. It is engineered for use in a variety of farm equipment, off highway machinery, industrial tractors, final drives, power take-off units, wet brakes, power steering units and hydraulic systems. It provides the unique combination of ultimate equipment protection and the convenience of using one fluid in place of two or more fluids while maintaining optimum equipment performance and component durability. Balanced frictional properties and shear-stable viscosity modifiers deliver trouble-free operation and trusted performance. J20C UTHF J20C formula Temperature rating: -44 to 439°F 5 gallons Recommended for agriculture equipment and off-highway machinery requiring the following: John Deere: Quatrol, J20C, J20A, J21A, Hy-Gard J14B/C & Type 303 Fluid (and many others)

  6. #6T-town2022-05-24 20:49

    That's what I use in 310 b series which is mid 80's. Rotella 15/40 in the crankcase and TracSupply Premium in the hyd system. Put a couple k hours on the old beast with those fluids and no issues that I know of...

  7. #7boone2022-05-26 11:15

    The only thing I've discovered with Travelers is it doesn't contain the anti-chatter additive for brakes, which you will find in Hytran and Hygard. I find the chatter super annoying.

  8. #8T-town2022-05-26 19:10

    Doesn't seem to show up in my unit..? course, I guess you have to actually have brakes to hear them chatter Mine work.... but "you've got to plan ahead"

  9. #9Bryanbdp2022-05-26 21:51

    I'll be interested to see if they work myself!