Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best older track loader

Ralph Harris · 2025-03-04 17:16

I’ve done a ton of research and I’ve kind of narrowed it down to a few machines. If anyone could point me that last final stretch I’d appreciate it. I’m looking for a guess a midsize track loader something like a 953 caterpillar possibly a case not made of money just do a little developing and I have a decent sized farm to take care of My current equipment is a 450 E John Deere bulldozer and a Ford 555D Backhoe I need some more power and prefer tracks and a loader. Thanks everybody. I can usually figure out electrical issues, hydraulic issues as long as it doesn’t get too deep in the machine, meaning clutches and pistons and/or major engine repair Also, don’t want to get into a $20,000 repair either that might not be avoidable with the larger machines

Replies40
  1. #1Ralph Harris2025-03-05 21:13

    No opinions?

  2. #2TallDan2025-03-06 18:15

    Hello, I grew up on an old case 450 track loader but for the last decade been running an original 953. 953 is a nice size machine and it’s so versatile. Easy to operate. Comfortable. Did I mention how much I like it? Lol some of the parts are no longer available like hydraulic cylinder and rods from cat but there is aftermarket and rebuilt parts available. I do try to always buy from cat if available. They updated the track tension rod on the B model I believe which was a weak point in the original when the undercarriage is low or in my case with a broken spring. You can spend a good amount of money on that repair so check everything over well when negotiating. Another advantage of the 953 is this forum there’s people on here that know everything about them who donate there time everyday helping others

  3. #3Tyler d4c2025-03-06 19:23

    Buy a cat in the end it will be cheaper. Plus parts are more readily available. Sure like dan said stufd for the earlier cats is starting to be obsolite but from what ive seen of case theres way more that cant be bought. Personaly id try to find a 953c but thats just my preference. There already (much like myself) nearing in on 30 years old

  4. #4Ralph Harris2025-03-06 22:21

    thanks guys. I appreciate it. I found a 963 1985 model with 1200 hours for around 30 grand. It looks like a boss. Weighing about 39,000 pounds semi and trailer will pull it no problem except my deck is only 16 feet. I can pick the front bucket up and lay it on the tongue. Would you guys recommend staying with the 953? I don’t want to have the mortgage to farm if something happens to the 963. It looks huge to me.

  5. #5Shimmy12025-03-06 22:32

    Highly unlikely that a 40 year old tractor only has 1200 hours.

  6. #6pittsburgh cat man2025-03-06 23:10

    Thats what i was thinking thats about 30 hours a year! I do like the 963a s but i will tell you parts for hpcu are getting pricey and a 963 will like fuel in the old days they figured a full tank of fuel would last 10 hours

  7. #7Cat9772025-03-06 23:41

    Look around where the operator works for worn paint and polished worn metal. Beware of the cosmetic fresh paint cover up. If you can find a low hours machine it's worth paying up for. If you use good oil that's the correct type and stay up on the maintenance it should be fairly free of costing big bills. Getting oil samples tested is cheap insurance. If you need muscle a big machine is indispensable at times. The pins should be pretty tight yet at 1200 hrs.

  8. #8Ralph Harris2025-03-07 00:04

    I don’t believe the hours either, looks original though. Most likely won’t offer at the 63 just a little more than I need but my current 450 e Deere isn’t enough. How about a 555 Deere track loader or similar? Honestly wanting around 100 hp and 25 k weight

  9. #9TallDan2025-03-07 06:33

    Personally I would pass on the 963. I see older ones working large job sites frequently around here but those are big league contractors. My 82 953 has around 5,000 original hours so it’s possible to have a low hour machine that didn’t get used much but it should be in pretty good shape like mentioned. I would still look for a 953. Instead of a large old machine maybe get a little newer 953 like a c model that was mentioned? I’ve never been disappointed with the capabilities of mine and for its age it never left me hanging. I just used it this January on a 0 degree morning cranked for 15 seconds and fired right up. Other than a broken spring, a final drive, some rollers a few small parts and a paint job it’s been solid for the last 20 years being used on jobs. Another family member used it for their business regularly before me so I have a long history of it. Original tracks are worn but still hanging in there. I paid 12k for it.

  10. #10TallDan2025-03-07 07:14

    Once you go to a 953 from the old track loaders with the engines in front like the case we had you’ll appreciate the balance and speed of the 953. It’s more like operating a big skid steer.

  11. #11Ralph Harris2025-03-07 13:04

    I agree with that wisdom thanks for the information. I do like the size of the 953 I can haul it with my truck should be no problem. I’ll stay in that range of machine. Thanks guys.

  12. #12Ralph Harris2025-03-07 13:06

    Talldan that is a super nice looking machine you have there

  13. #13TallDan2025-03-07 13:23

    Thank you for the kind words!

  14. #14Welder Dave2025-03-09 01:43

    A 555 JD I think is around 20,000lbs. Not that much bigger than your 450. A Cat 943 would be a nice unit if you could find one in decent shape. As always check the undercarriage before anything else. If it's on it's last legs could cost $15K+ to replace. A Cat 955L or 951C is another option if you don't mind a powershift trans. and a front engine. Getting a little old though.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2025-03-09 08:22

    We had a 555 running along a 943 once the 555 is so slow the 43 seemed to out work it 2 to 1

  16. #161466IH2025-03-09 09:19

    What ever you start looking at i would highly recommend going to your cat dealer and getting SOS kits for each compartment. Especially the hydrostat. Oil scans can show a lot and a hydrostatic repair on these machines can cost upwards of $30,000.00.

  17. #17Ralph Harris2025-03-10 19:04

    Great info guys I appreciate it, I’ve owned enough equipment now to know that something bigger is needed even for lighter work something around 20 k weight think I’m done with backhoes and smaller bulldozers. Excavators, metal track loaders, 953 s ecct,skid steers for mowing and finish work. 30 k lbs excavators, 20 to 30 k lbs loaders, I have a Volvo 30 with Detroit 60 engine to pull with

  18. #18Ralph Harris2025-03-10 19:09

    What is a desirable tranny for these 941 , 953 track loaders?

  19. #19Welder Dave2025-03-10 21:54

    941 is a torque converter powershift and a 953 is hydrostatic. There are no other options for transmissions but I think some old track loaders may have had a direct drive manual shift option. JD had direct drive powershift and torque converter powershift options on 455G and maybe 555G loaders. Hydrostatic is the most desirable but also the most expensive to fix. As mentioned above a hydrostat is 2 to 2 1/2 times more productive. Cat used to advertise that when the 953 came out and replaced the 951C. I think undercarriage wear is proportional to the increased production. Most users are OK with that because they are much more efficient. Powershift is perfectly fine if you don't need super high production. I have a 931B and it's not real fast but is probably 4 or 5 times faster loading a dump truck than my skid steer. It also drives into piles of moist clay almost effortlessly especially with the hoe on the back.

  20. #20Ralph Harris2025-03-12 08:53

    Yeah, that’s what I needed to hear. I appreciate that production efficiency is not my main goal clearing land and pushing stumps and some light digging and grading is A 943 just came up for sale. I’m thinking about going to look at it for 20,000.

  21. #21Welder Dave2025-03-13 00:03

    Just make sure to fully inspect it. Hiring a mechanic is a good idea. If it needs undercarriage isn't a very good deal.

  22. #22Ralph Harris2025-03-14 12:23

    No response from the seller just as well. It’s kind of a spooky thing buying older equipment. You gotta do a little searching and listen to some horror stories. I thought I’d never even think this way, but I’m considering something newer 40 to 80,000 for a track loader In that price range, I live in the south east what should I expect? I really want more power than a 450 series John Deere. Maybe 100 hp and 25 to 35,000 pounds

  23. #23Ralph Harris2025-03-14 12:24

    So as far as a track loader goes, what would be a good option in that price range, power reliability, and obviously price

  24. #24MarcusZ19672025-03-14 12:37

    IH/Dresser 175. Boss has a IH 175C. 70's machine. Still running good!

  25. #25Tyler d4c2025-03-14 14:10

    300 horse and 25 to 30000 If you want parts and serviceablity you want a Caterpillar. Maybe a newer deere like a 655 if a dealer is handy to you

  26. #26HATCHEQUIP2025-03-14 14:40

    IH/Dresser are getting harder to find parts for especially undercarriage. what about a 955 cat ton of aftermarket parts available , cheap to buy and keep up if your handy with a wrench.

  27. #27Welder Dave2025-03-14 19:53

    A 943 pretty much matches with what you're looking for. Now if you have greatly increased your budget, putting undercarriage on an otherwise good machine might be a good option. $35-$40K for a 943 with good undercarriage might be ideal. Even $50-$55K for a lower hour machine could be a good deal.

  28. #28Ralph Harris2025-03-17 08:22

    thanks guys. I found a 953 mid 1980s that a guy has put a ton of money in and doesn’t need a track machine anymore. It’s 35,000. I almost felt sorry for him when he was telling me what he has done to it. He paid 32,000 and then proceeded to have to rebuild the transmission. The final drives. Hydraulic pump I actually forgot all the stuff that he said. The machine is basically new, but I heard somebody say one time that when a machine has trouble, even though it’s had a lot of work done it might end up being a money pit what do y’all think?

  29. #29Ralph Harris2025-03-17 08:27

    Meant to say when a machine has lots of repairs and trouble it might be a lemon. Would y’all buy a machine that’s had that much work done to it? Or wait on a clean lower hour machine? And he had all new rollers basically new undercarriage done as well

  30. #30HATCHEQUIP2025-03-17 09:13

    Any paper work on those repairs and who did those repairs, not just any Joe Blow can rebuild a HPC and do it right or even half ass.

  31. #31CM19952025-03-17 10:15

    953A's and B's are good machines. I have a BBX series 953C bought new in 2004 that's been a good machine but it does have a lot of wiring.

  32. #32HATCHEQUIP2025-03-17 11:18

    If the engineers would have only kept jacking the cab instead of each other on the C I would have greatly appreciated it.

  33. #33pittsburgh cat man2025-03-17 11:46

    Look close at my picture

  34. #34HATCHEQUIP2025-03-17 13:36

    Consider me spanked. Was this only on 77Cs because Ive never worked on a 53C that tilted.

  35. #35pittsburgh cat man2025-03-17 13:43

    As far as i know there are only 3 973 c like that. They all went to steel mill Cat sent a box of parts and told us to make it tilt Oh yeah no directions

  36. #361466IH2025-03-17 14:21

    Does that surprise you? Would happen to have kept the list of part#'s for that conversion or were they all 1 off parts...in this case 3 off

  37. #37pittsburgh cat man2025-03-17 14:45

    No numbers It was pretty much a custom made thing. Had to have big brackets welded to front of cab I think they were modified from a model cab, pump was pretty big. ended up making swing out bracket for it. it was defiantly way more expensive than a a model cab tilt

  38. #38HATCHEQUIP2025-03-17 15:06

    I knew the 77As did because of working on them but have only wrenched on the 53&63 Cs. Just dont see many 77s anymore 15-20 years ago we sold several komatsu D75s-5 to the millsthat we rebuilt and modified to their spec. Your 77s dont count the same as if I mounted a backhoe on the *** end.

  39. #39HarleyHappy2025-03-17 22:08

    If someone has put that kind of work and love in it, it’s a deal. Look at any of the work done and it should give you a good idea of how much he cared for the machine. Did he do things right? Lock washers, bolts right, does his work look good to you? If so, then I might believe him, it would be better with some receipts or paperwork. Either way, it shouldn’t be to difficult ti ascertain whether or not he did the actual work. Any off feelings, just ask, if the ******** starts flowing, run, run, run.

  40. #40Ralph Harris2025-03-18 11:12

    Thanks guys. I feel like an elementary student in a room full of college students. I’m learning something every day about this equipment and it’s awesome but it’s also scary. I can’t really afford to take Equipment to big shops that of course have to make money. It’s kind of a spooky thing. Whatever I buy, I want to at least be able to do most of the work, but these bigger machines are intimidating The guy goes he seems pretty straight up and I would definitely look at repair receipts.