Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best parts availability for larger excavators

moriboy ยท 2023-04-20 08:40

We are looking at buying a large excavator (80,000lb +) for clearing our land that has been logged. I know CAT is good about having (some) parts for older machines, but are their other brands that have decent parts support? The machine we buy will be pre DPF/DEF, hopefully 2002-2012 era. Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1skyking12023-04-20 09:13

    Komatsu, Deere, Hitachi also make good machines in that era. I would stick with that 4 for parts support. Ask around for what the big 4 can do for you locally. If brand X parts and service are 3 times as far away as the others, you would have to have a compelling reason to go with brand X. If you need help with a big machine like that, odds are that it will be field mechanic help.

  2. #2moriboy2023-04-20 11:14

    Thank you. I have heard that Komatsu is well supported in our area.

  3. #3sfrs42023-04-24 08:17

    Skyking has about nailed it, I would however add Volvo to that mix, primarily because they seem to have a wider aftermarket sweep of parts that can reduce running costs hugely. Your main concern after parts is just how good the technical/service dept is, many dealerships don't cater for early machines unless they have an "oldboy" who is still working there from back in the day.

  4. #4Zalka2023-04-24 14:17

    I've worked for Deere, Doosan, and Volvo, and can say Volvo definitely has the best older parts support of the three.