Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best place to buy a mulching head? (or other attachments)

Gixxer600 ยท 2009-11-22 11:39

I have been watching craigslist in my area and ebay ... where else should I look? I don't see a wanted/for sale section on this forum. Craig

Replies5
  1. #1KSSS2009-11-22 13:27

    Check machinery trader. There is an FAE 04 model near you in Alabama. It does not have an aux. cooler nor the newer two speed pump but the price is right. Its a repo. If you cant find it, pm me.

  2. #2Gixxer6002009-11-22 13:31

    Aux cooler? 2 speed pump? I think I might need a crash course in mulching heads.

  3. #3KSSS2009-11-22 13:43

    Sorry, some mulchers have an auxilary cooler located on the attachment, FAE offers this on newer mulchers. The newer FAE mulchers have a variable speed pump which is said to increase torque significantly. So this head is not the cutting edge of productivity but I like the money on this head. I currently have a Tushogg which I like, but I have considered adding an other mulcher that had chipper style teeth. Conditions really vary here, from heavy rock which the Tushogg excells in to no rock rock. The asphalt cutting teeth on my Tushogg are not as efficient as the chipper style teeth in some applications.

  4. #4Gixxer6002009-11-22 14:28

    Hmm. So are the teeth interchangable? What teeth does this have and what is best for overall use? I have 73 acres and need to mulch maybe 30-40 acres (over time) and I would also like to be able to do some work with it as well. Can you maybe break down the different options available and where they work best? There are "chipper" teeth and what else? What are the different purposes? If you would rather direct me to some reading materials I would understand and be fine with that. thanks for your help!

  5. #5KSSS2009-11-22 15:21

    Go to this link. http://www.tushogg.com/index_6000.cfm Go through the site and you can see the chipper style tooth and the asphalt cutting type tooth. Chipper teeth are susceptible to rock, asphalt teeth are better in rock but not as efficient at cutting and the mulch is more stringy compared to the nice chips you get with the chipper teeth. That is the very short story on different types of teeth. I am not aware of anyone else that offers different teeth on the same head, although there are many of these attachments out there perhaps someone else does. There is a lot to learn about mulchers. Go to Loftness.com and they have some other options as well. Takes a lot of hyd. power and cooling capacity to run these heads. Make sure you keep a fire extingusher with you as well. Ask me how I know. A lot of machines burn to the ground running mulchers.