Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best place to rebuild excavator hydraulic pump

Pete1468 · 2018-11-23 12:24

Where's the best place to have our get a main hydraulic pump rebuilt for a cat 315L. It works fine but it's leaking all over the pump itself. So far I've found $5500 from several places and $5200 from cat which surprised me. I had thought about trading machines but not sold on that yet.

Replies5
  1. #1Junkyard2018-11-23 12:41

    A couple thoughts here...... Are the leaks related to the pump itself or hoses and fittings? If it functions correctly but just leaks externally it can be resealed for considerably less than being rebuilt.....that’s an assumption based on past experience with other pumps. What’s your S/N? I can look and see if there’s a kit to reseal it.

  2. #2John C.2018-11-23 13:40

    I’ve never seen a put together kit for excavator hydraulic pumps. I would be interested if that were possible.

  3. #3Pete14682018-11-23 15:50

    It's a 6YM serial number, leaks are all from the pump covers and gaskets. At 7,000 hrs I figured it's time to rebuild before a problem.

  4. #4John C.2018-11-23 18:03

    It’s a good time for bearings and seals. You need to lap the barrel and seal plate to each other as well. I’ve always had to order the parts separate. A pump shop that has a dyno to set the pump up proper is probably the most important thing.

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-11-23 18:35

    As John C said above, unfortunately, that's where the price climbs from a reseal to a rebuild. No one wants the bad press of saving somebody a couple bucks just to have a rotating assembly crap the bed. With hydro pumps and motors, it's all or nothing or piece it out and do it yourself. It's not worth the risk to the rebuilder. Just my honest opinion