Tonight my daughter is stuck on the side of the road I-90 near Madison Wisconsin with a blown tire She called AAA it took them 2.5 hours to get someone out there. They installed the hide a spare and told her it was low on air and she shouldn't drive the car and he drove off leaving her and her friend there along side the freeway. And AAA say's they can't find any body to help her. RULE #1 FOR TOW TRUCK DRIVERS YOU NEVER EVER LEAVE WOMEN STRANDED ON A HIGHWAY. WHAT A LOUSY SACK OF **** HE IS. I WOULD LOVE TO KICK HIS ***. Truck Shop
While the driver should have figured an alternate solution to just leaving... I can see some risk points of giving women a ride somewhere. After all, 30 years later, a guy can get accused of attempted rape with no evidence.
What good is AAA if they don't even have one of those tiny portable air compressors....or some way to air up a tire....
That is BULLS**T!!! You can't tell me that the tow truck company doesn't at least have an air bubble they could bring out to put a little air in the tire!!!!
Absolute horse ****. Is there a record of who came out? We could collectively make that poor ba$tards life miserable not to mention whoever he works for! Unbelievable.
I don't know a rollback guy that doesn't have onboard air for filling tires. I guess some retards run on cordless impacts only?
Lately most of the wrecker guys I’ve seen could barely remember what side of the truck the steering wheel is on let alone do anything helpful or go out of their way. I cannot fathom doing what this particular booger eating moron did. Having girls and a younger sister it makes my blood boil.
When I ran for triple a our smaller tow trucks didn’t have on board air but we rarely did service calls with them in a situation like that I’d have towed them for free to somewhere with air though all of our service trucks had air
I find it shocking triple a expects to change a tire and not have to think that the spare could be low almost every spare I have ever put on is low it's the spare no one checks it But on the grounds of leaving someone on the side of the highway in winter that's grounds for a lynching where I come from you just dont do that not to mention to women
Maybe this level of tow truck competence is why Mr. Truck Shop has built himself a tow truck. Almost makes you want to have a flatbed with winch on standby at the house, to go drag your wife's car home if anything should happen to it.
I have NEVER left or passed a woman stranded. And I have never accepted payment for helping. From flat tires to low coolant to broken belts, anything. I have had some lock the doors when I walked up, which was fine, and smart on their part. I have passed my cell phone to them thru a cracked window to use, and I have passed them my wallet to show my I D. We all have Mothers or Wives or Daughters, and hope like hell they never need help, but also hope if they did, someone with or own integrity would show up...
Here in my little world, south of Chicago, you only stop for seniors. I hate to say it, but that's how it is. Too many "did-n-do-nuffins" plotting and scheming. When I'm out with my wife, she makes the decision as to stop or not. For some reason, she has good judgment when it comes to stuff like that. On a side note, I chuckle and laugh when I see a Mercedes or Lexus on the side with a spare tire leaned up on the back bumper, as if to say help. Full grown, fully capable man standing beside it. That always makes me laugh.
I cant count how many women I have stopped for on the side of the road over the years. I have a rule of thumb...…...women and seniors I will stop for anytime, Dudes are on their own. If your a guy and cant change a tire, you deserve to sit there.
Parent's job is to teach life skills. Before I allowed my prissy daughters to drive, they had to change the tire with the on-board tools without help or advice. I did go behind them to insure bolt torque. They have since, appreciated the lesson.
I helped my daughter swap her own engine and trans out. She wanted to do it, to take ownership and pride
My only experience with 3-A was a year or so back right at the end of my driveway! These two ladies stopped after dark with about the worst looking tire I ever saw, wires sticking out all over! they had already called 3-A so wife and I stayed with them and offered them to come in the house to wait but as it was not a bad night they decided to stay with the car. Not sure where the guy was coming from but it took a couple hours to get there and we are not that far out in the country, maybe 45 minutes to get to just about any place in the nearest city. Before the jerk,I mean guy, got there we had the doughnut spare out and leaning next to the car. When he finally showed up barely said a word. Removed flat and installed spare got in his truck and left again without saying a word. He did not even bother to put the flat tire in the trunk!
good grief-the world is sure goin to hell
Bloody good on her. I have a stepdaughter that is flatout becoming independent. She thought the break pads and CV joints on her car needed replacing. She gets all the parts required, rings me asking if I can give a hand, sure I says, But the deal is I don't pick up any tools, just supervise. Gotta love that kid.
Dang funwithfuel! If I was single and maybe 50 years younger I'd be calling that young lady up for a date!
And I was just commenting to my wife, "I don't have to worry about posting our daughters pic on here, there's no leches and creeps" and along came Kshansen. It's all good. She only looks nice, beneath the smile, she's as beligerant and ornery as her mother and me.
After setting there for another 2.5 hrs help finally arrived. The driver said he knew who the ******* that got the first call and it was on par for him. When the first driver showed up he said I see your from Washington I've heard they have good weed out there. Wow. I bought them a new set of tires this morning { the old tires were 60%} Coopers. They made it to Cleveland this afternoon. Final destination Connecticut. Truck Shop
Guy that got the first call should be dropped from AAA if that's his par. I think there's beginning to be a bunch of Jagoffs with a pickup, a cordless impact, and a gas can that are starting to abuse the AAA. Feedback should be given.
Feedback like a boot up his arse? It would almost be worth a trip up there to recreate the scene and with some luck get him again......
Oh she contacted AAA and said a mouth full. Years ago a shop I worked at was a AAA towing outfit, AAA had lots of rules you broke them you were toast. But the world has changed completely since then and rules, policies and guide lines mean nothing anymore. And a story of my own that happened in the winter of 88. A week before Christmas on a Friday it started snowing real hard, Ellensburg where I lived had already gotten a bunch a few days earlier. I started out in the Freightliner at 3:00 am that Friday and towed plus winched all day long. I got back to the shop at about 6.00 pm and Millie the owner knew I was shot but she asked me if I could make one more tow--35 miles to Yakima. The lady that wanted the tow had spent the day trying to get from Seattle to Yakima and had wrecked twice, she was scared to death and crying plus had her four year old boy with her, all the motels were full. So I said yeah sure I'll take the only one ton 4x4 left a 76 Chevy with a Holmes 500 and a add-on Zacklift. The other three were still out working. I headed up I-82 from Ellensburg slick as hell. At the bottom of the hill I saw a VW square back lose it and plow in on the shoulder headed north bound so I called it in to Millie to relay to WSP. Dropping off the south side toward Yakima the Fred G Redmond bridge had a 20 some car truck pile-up. I backed the ladies car I was towing into her garage wrote the bill she paid me and handed me a 50 dollar bill as a tip. She was a prosecuting attorney it turned out. I headed back up I-82 and wove my way through the pile-up, It was out of my towing area so there was no reason to stop plus there were ten tow rigs there already. When I got to the bottom of I-82 Near Ellensburg I noticed the VW was still there and people were inside so I stopped to check on them. I asked if anyone had stopped the lady driving the car said no even a state patrol drove by plus sand trucks. She had four children in the car headed to Tacoma in that weather. Plus she said she didn't have but enough money to get there. So I made decision and told her I would winch her out for free--just don't tell anyone which tow outfit did it. Two weeks later I was under a rig installing a gear box when Millie walked along side and tapped my leg with her high heels {red high heels}. Mike you want to roll out of there? {Did you pull that VW out at mile post 3 I-82 two weeks back--for free?} Well yeah Millie I did, the car had a woman and four kids in it and it was 24 degrees out and no one had stopped plus she didn't have enough money. And I looked at all the money in the bank bag and I decided we had made enough for one day. She handed me a letter the woman sent to thank the company. Millie's reply to me was { You did right Mike, My guys always stop to help a woman no matter what and that's what I want to here. She gave me a gift certificate to the Palace restaurant. My tow story from 1988--Truck Shop
Class act !
If there was a love button I’d have pushed it!
It is not just AAA that will leave you stranded. Maybe 25 years ago my sister is going north for a ski weekend with her best friend and she gets a bad load of diesel with water. Car dies on I-84 in Connecticut. No cell phones back then so had to wait for someone to stop. When she called she told me that not 1 but 2 state cops went right by before some good guy actually stopped and found a pay phone. It was friggen cold and the cops went right by! Well, I hit the road, stretched the rods in the 440 and found out that 110 mph studs come out of snow tires! I respect the job cops have to do but as people I never look at them the same anymore. Leaving a 20 year old woman on the side of the road is unforgivable. Forever.
Sadly it works both ways.... I stopped to help a fella pulling a big cabin cruiser boat with a nice fancy truck that had smoked a wheel bearing and tire. I went up the road and got bearings and fixed up the axle and put on his spare. The fella took off, never even thanked me or offered to pay for the bearings, hell he didn't even ask for my name. I still stop and offer to help folks but I swear I don't know how some of them live with themselves.
Caveman … Especially this week, a national time to remember with gratitude … It's important to the giver and the blessed that gratitude be shown. Without thanks, both are cheated. The giver is left with nothing and the recipient goes away either entitled or regretful after the chance. On behalf of all those you've helped, thank you.
I'm pretty cautious about stopping to help people. About 10 years ago a trucker stopped to offer assistance to a "stranded" motorist about a half hour away from where I lived. Guy got jumped and the tar beat out of him. Left for dead on the side of the road. He survived thankfully. My rule is if I actually see a car break down, if I've seen the car travelling my direction multiple times on a long trip or if its a cold day/snow storm I'll stop.
Here's my story This is a number of years ago before cell phones. I'm cruising down the e-way 75+ (I'm always over 5+) heading back to the office. Sky is looking like rain, a few spits now and then. I pass a car on the inside shoulder and the driver has the trunk up working on getting the spare out. A glance sideways, it sorta looks like maybe a female, short hair maybe?. If it's a woman, I'm not just keeping on going. So I do a flip flop thru the "Authorized Vehicles Only" crossovers and go back. I pull up behind the vehicle and park like the troopers do so I'm protecting us. Sure enough, it's a female and she is obviously very pregnant. My first question - are you driving yourself to the hospital? The answer was no, but I'm overdue and I'm on my way to see my Doctor. Me: you sure your not having pains? So I can go find a payphone and call a tow truck, husband, or someone. But I just don't want to just leave her there till help arrives so it's quicker to just change it. She had managed to get the spare out and the jack. Remember it looked like rain? Well sure enough it started to rain. She standing watching me so I suggest it's okay to get in. No she says, you're getting wet so I can to. Fortunately I was almost done and the rain wasn't too hard. She thanks me profusely and wants to give me money, I said no thanks, I work for the road department - one of our services. One of the first things I did with our daughter when she got her driver's license was have her jack up the car, pull the tire and wheel, reinstall it and drop the jack. I also showed her how to use jumper cables and made she had a set and a 20 foot tow strap.
My only problem with showing someone how to do the things we take as simple is the fact that by the time they might actually need to do it there's the chance they will hurt themselves. Its good to have the know how but people forget simple tasks. Not to take off in another direction but people who buy a firearm for protection go through a safety class and stow the firearm away in a desk is one example. If you don't shoot twice a month and at least 50 rounds each time your not going to be very accurate and probably be dangerous to others. And someone who isn't use to working along side a freeway with no traffic control at night or even daytime is a setting duck. Hell people don't even move over for blue lights let alone yellow. This last month a flagger was killed by a drunk driver on Highway 11 towards Pendelton Or. The only way to be good at pool is shoot at-least ten games a night. Truck Shop
That's why we carry guns here.
Gun wouldn't have saved him. Two guys were standing by the car, a third crept up behind him and bashed him in the head. http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/good-samaritan-attacked-on-highway-1.1233656
About 12-13 years ago I was headed to Salt Lake with my 9 axle. In western KS my ol 359 quit making air. I pulled over and started to diagnose. Not long after a KS trooper stopped to ask if I needed help. I jokingly said yeah if you have a #10 union that would solve my problem. I can’t seem to find mine. About 30 minutes later he showed back up and handed me one! I bypassed the frozen dryer and while everything was charging back up I asked him if he would let me buy him a cup of coffee or something. He said I appreciate the offer but I better get home. I was off three hours ago..... I shook his hand, thanked him again and asked him for a badge number or his name. He wouldn’t give it to me, he just said it’s all in a days work. As he pulled away I saw his tag number, 316. The next day I called and found out what area he worked out of and sent him a thank you. I’m not a deeply religious person but you don’t have to be for 316 to mean something. I always wondered if him sitting behind me while I laid under that truck could have possibly prevented my demise. We may never know!
The last time I changed a tire for a lady she brought me a home baked apple pie the next day! I told her that wasn't necessary but I appreciated it never the less, and if she'd of told me that it was worth an apple pie I would have given her my own vehicle to take home and delivered her vehicle personally with a properly repaired tire.
I have worked on and off over the years at a shop that was by a gas station i would never build a shop next to a highway but i all ways help some one if i can. Last year we got a call from a guy needing a new battery. I wasnt in a good mood and 90% of the time it seems that a little maintaninc could go a long ways to not haveing problems on the road. He told me his cars make so i took the battery and headed out. I got there and found a man and women in the 80s trying to get home from the store with there groceries. He could hardly walk. My mood changed it could have been my mom and dad . I tested the battery and started it with the jump pack it was chargeing and the battery was 6 years old so i put in the new one. His wife ask if i would take a check and how much it was i thought its not going to make or brake the shop i let them have it for cost.
I was going to the next town over to get some parts about there i saw 2 girls pulled up in a drive with their car jacked up i thought if there still there when i come back by i will stop. They were still there i stoped they showed me there lug wrench it had the first lug nut stuck in it i should them how to get it out and changed it for them.
Most of these stories go back to our females. But here is one based on a typical beggar in downtown Atlanta. A construction crew is working on a job-site and a beggar comes up asking for money which was a multiple everyday occurrence. One of the guys onsite decides you can work for some cash and makes him that offer. He hands the guy a shovel. The guy digs for less time than it took you to read this and drops to the ground screaming he is hurt. A grand scene is going on. Another guys hands the beggar $20.00 and tells him to get the heck off the site. Main foreman has a nice talk with the crew chief asking him what was he thinking....