Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best Pusher Dozers

Contractor · 2018-08-23 22:02

Gentlemen; you all seem very knowledgeable in the scraper world and need some more advice. We’ve been push loading our Cat 621Bs with Cat D6Ts and Deere 850Ks. I’m ready to increase the horse power to speed loading. I’ve looked at D8Ks, D9G, D9H, and D9L for old cheep push power and is one of these machines better for durability and longevity? Also, does a cushion block make that much difference? I’ve also looked at new D8Ts and 1050Ks but I can buy 7 of the old machines for one new one. Thanks, HH

Replies14
  1. #1old-iron-habit2018-08-23 22:58

    A good old D9 with a cushion block will keep you smiling if all you want it for is a push Cat. The Cushion Block makes a hell of a difference to the scraper operator when picking it up on the fly. It takes a lot of practice to side slip in and pick it up smooth with a push blade with out jarring the hell out of everything.

  2. #2still learn'n2018-08-23 23:00
  3. #3StanRUS2018-08-24 06:37

    Most Old Oval Track dozers have been rode hard and put away wet! D9L is more durable with tons of used parts available. Narrow cushion-dozers are easier and faster to swing in behind the scraper. You're not apt to tag a scraper tire with the corner of the dozer blade. Single Dozer Pushing 621s or 631s...D8L,D9N,R or 8N,R size is productive. I would look for a 8N, R with multi shank ripper and standard dozer. Transport cost: from S. Cal to mid Texas $16-18thou Demo video Altfillisch (ACI) D10s D9G ripping; compare the bouncing ride versus a high drive dozer

  4. #4ShaneK2018-08-24 10:22

    This setup makes a lot of sense to me on a scraper jobsite for support. Fast speed, no steel tracks. Does that Box have a ripper shank too? That would be a full replacement of a dozer at a more affordable price.

  5. #5Buckethead2018-08-24 18:09

    Most contractors I worked for or know of push 621s with D8s or equivalent sized machines like Komatsu 155 or Dresser/IH TD25. A D9 would be more power, obviously, but I don't know if the wider blade would be a problem in the cut?

  6. #6Bluox2018-08-25 23:40

    How many scrapers do you have and what are you doing? How big are your jobs and how much work do you have? Bob

  7. #7stars&bars442018-08-30 20:54

    I know a D9 could push the bottom out of a 621 if you are in rocky stuff and hang one. I've heard the 9Ls are really heavy. I just bought a D8H 46a to push TS14s around today. The 8Hs and Ks are tough old tractors. The 9s are too but seem harder to get rid of when your done.

  8. #8Contractor2018-09-05 21:28

    Bob: I now have 25 scrapers and try for 100k-1M yards. I started with 4 then 10 then 16, now 25. It all happened pretty fast. C

  9. #9stars&bars442018-09-05 21:53

    Everybody around here uses wiggle tail trucks and big excavators. I can move it cheaper with pans hands down. It's getting hard to find operators though.

  10. #10StanRUS2018-09-05 23:22

    25ea 621Bs ? IMO, too many small capacity scrapers. Go bigger scrapers 631s and single push with 9N,R size dozer. ONE push load per minute with combos 8N,R,T-621s / 8L,9N,R-631s and 651s-9L,10series.

  11. #11ShaneK2018-09-06 09:53

    I've heard that in Texas, Romco dealerships are good with analyzing jobsite performance when it relates to earthmoving-may be worth giving them a call. They also have some sort of equipment operated rental plan if you're ever in a pinch to move more dirt without the equipment/labour to get it done yourself.

  12. #12Contractor2018-09-06 20:54

    Bob: yes many small capacity scrapers, but I’ve been competitive due the low entry cost on these machines and velocity we’ve been able to achieve. We will likely look to Cat 631’s and Deere’s pan tractors with multiple 24 yard pans when we run out of resources. C

  13. #13still learn'n2018-09-09 21:03

    Yes it does.

  14. #14Contractor2019-04-08 23:55

    We just added this D8K to the team to push scrapers; can’t wait to put it in the field.