My father has a bad lower back -- it's not your regular kind of back pain but something that is ultimately going to become very serious. He's looking to buy another Mack and he has found one he likes, but the seat is awful. He asked me if I could ask the fine folks here to tell of their experiences with ComfortRide, Bostrom, etc. high end air ride seats. At this point, money is no object as long as he finds a seat that can take bumps from paved interstates to dirt trails. The other trucks we have all have some mechanism for putting air in the lumbar area but they came with the truck. We don't have much experience shopping around for aftermarket seats. Any help would be appreciated. The purchase of this particular Mack truck is dependant on finding a very, very comfortable seat. This leads to another question -- does one seat fit all makes of trucks or are the bolt patterns specially placed based on whether it's a kenworth, mack, international, etc.? Relevant data: Max. time spent in the seat at one time: 6 hours Surfaces: Paved interstate, divided highways, and even dirt/gravel farm roads Model of truck: Mack Truck (maybe another mfg. --- let's say Mack for now) Any experiences (good or bad) with any aftermarket air-supported seats will be appreciated. Sorry for the long winded question. Thanks in advance for the help
Most of the trucks I've driven were equipped with Bostroms, except the Macks. I've never been in a top of the line Bostrom, but they have an economical version available that is pretty comfortable. It had an air bladder for height and weight adjustment, there's seat back angle adjustment plus a for and aft sliding suspension that really helps absorb the bumps. I'm pretty long legged, the only problem I ever had was the back of the truck cab not being far enough from the steering wheel to get enough legroom. I've been away from the industry for about 10 years so there's probably better info out there than I can offer.
ooh... Didn't consider the legroom issue. Thanks for pointing that out and thanks for the info. Anyone know anything about the 'ComfortRide' brand models?
Richard, When I bought my Mack,the seat that came with it was horrible.My backside would bother me after about 2-3 hrs driving. I went to our local Peterbuilt dealer,and bought a Bostrom Talladega Wide-Ride Low-rider with black Ultra-Leather,mid back,and adjustable headrest.(which they had in stock,as a standard Pete seat)It was about $825.00 I'm short(5'6"),and regular seats are too tall for me with any air added.The low rider tops out at about the same height as a regular seat bottoms out.It also goes almost all the way to the floor if you let the air out of it.I fits short guys very well,has two armrest,and duel lumbar,bottom cushion,and headrest adjustments.It also was a wider bottom cushion so you can scoot around side to side to get comfortable. I spend about 30-40 hrs a week in it,and don't have backside problems,or a sore lower back any more while driving it.:thumbsup
Thanks for the detailed information. I know he will thank you as well. I'll call him and mention your experience with that seat. He's rather tall, so he may opt for the 'non-low-rider' version of that seat. So, I take it that a standard Peterbilt seat will easily marry to a Mack CH613 (I think that's the model) w/o sleeper. Thank you again for your help. :thumbsup
Mine did not.I had to drill two holes(rear two) in the seat base to get it too fit down on the plate.(a Mack CX613)The front two lined up. Most aftermarket seats have many holes on the bottom to fit near every truck.I was suprised mine didn't line up.But it wasn't a hard fix.
Here's a link to an aftermarket seat supplier: www.newtruckseats.com I've never bought anything from them, and I don't know how the prices compare - but it was one site I found with a decent amount of seats/manufacturers to compare features. Maybe it'll help your search.
I would take a day and hit the major truck dealers in your area that carry factory and aftermarket seats. Tell them your problem and ask what their return policy is so if you find that after a week the seats not helping you can atleast return it and try another. But spend a little more $$ to get a good seat, i've had to replace the drivers seat in my dads truck 3 times to get one that didnt bother his back and he spent more on the 3rd than he did on the first 2 combined.
I found a Bostrom Talladega @ a truck junk yard for $150. best money I have spent on my ford and me. Now if I could just figure how to climb in and out to make it easer on my knees. Find a truck dealer, climb in and sit a while. try them all, buy the one that fits the best, the return policy is a must.
Jeff, It just hit me... you're trading that Mack for a Pete "one piece at a time" aren't you? It all starts with the lowrider seat... :cool2
:thumbsup Just like the in the Johnny Cash song!! One headlight on one side,two on the other.I'll hear em' laughin' as I'm rollin' through town,how bout it?!?!(C.B. slang,hee) I had a seat in my Freightliner that was real comfortable too,but I can't remember who manufactured it.I know it was called a Chapparel(sp?)It may have been made by Sears seating,but not sure.