Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What do you think?

jmac ยท 2006-05-23 23:03

I have a GMC 6500 single axle truck that has a Allison 4 speed a 502 cu in gas engine. The worst purchase I have every made for what we need it to do. I have found a 1999 GMC 8500 tamdem to replace it but need advise if you guy's think the specs will be "oK". I know better than what I have but don't want to buy another one in two years. The truck has 14k front, 40 rears, hendrickson suspension, 3126 cat 300 hp, 8LL tranny, air gate, 16.5' box, double frame, no exhaust brake and tail gate beat to crap. The worst thing that I can see is 250k miles. What am I missing? GMC dealer in NC is selling truck. DOT inspected March 06. I would like to haul dozer or 20k machine and occasional load of stone (3 times a week). We have lots of hills in Upstate NY. Thanks for the advise.

Replies22
  1. #1Ford LT-90002006-05-24 02:57

    I would prolly pass on that truck you guys use Mack alot back east I would look for a R model with 300-350 Mack power fuller 8spd or Mack 12spd 18,000lb front and 38,000 Mack rears on camel back suspension. If you can't find a Mack a Ford L-9000 with 16,000lb front 44,000 rears on spring with 400 Cummins or 425 Cat power with 8LL or 13spd would be a decent truck. The GMCs have a cheap cab on them the 3126 Cat is out of its legue in a tandem and with no exhaust brake or any kind of engine retarder you trucks brakes are going to suffer. The 14,000lb axle is a little light and 40 rears is okay for pavement use but don't get into soft conditions they don't last long. With that truck your right leg will fall off and your right arm will be seeing the most exercise in a long time because you will be shifting alot.

  2. #2jmac2006-05-25 17:03

    Thanks for the help. I found about six trucks that are in my price range and spec close to what I want I think I need. 4 Fords and 2 Macks. Fords are LT9000 and LTL9000. specs: 1) 1993 FORD LTL9000, 425 CAT 3406 engine, 8 speed with low hole, new rear end, 40,000 lb. Rockwell, Hendrickson suspension, 16' heil, air tailgate, electric tarp., $30,000 2)1997 FORD L9000, C12 Caterpillar 410 HP, 10 Spd, Air Ride Suspension, 3.90 Ratio, 220" WB, 22.5 Tires, Aluminum Wheels, Tandem Axle, 14,500# FA, 40,000# RA, NEW 15' STEEL BOX, TWO WAY TAILGATE, NEW PUMP, PTO HOIST, 18" APRON, PINTLE HITCH WITH AIR AND ELECTRIC HOOKUPS, Stk #4970, VIN #1FTYY96M8VVA31453, $38,900 NO JAKE 502k miles 3)1997 FORD LT9000, Cummins 330 HP, 8LL Spd, Hendrickson Suspension, 206" WB, 22.5 Tires, All Steel Wheels, Tandem Axle, 18,000# FA, 40,000# RA, 417,750 miles, 15 1/2 FT OX DUMP BODY,ELECTRIC TARP,AIR GATE,AC, Stk #1554, VIN #VA28544, $39,450 4)1988 MACK R686ST, E6-300 Mack 300 HP, 10 Spd, Engine Brake, Camelback Suspension, 22.5 Tires, Aluminum/Spoke Wheels, Tandem Axle, 14,300# FA, 46,000# RA, 340,784 miles, Tandem 14' Dump, Original Aluminum body same year as truck, Extremely clean inside and out, Jake Brake, CB Radio, Fuller 10 speed, Camelback suspension, Air Gate, New Steers, 90% matched rear tires, aluminum steer wheels, spoke rear wheels, 11R22.5, air lines & Pintle hook in rear., VIN #1M2N179Y9JW009438, $29,900 5)1989 MACK RD690S, EM6-300L Mack 300 HP, 7 Spd, Engine Brake, Camelback Suspension, 226" WB, 22.5 Tires, Spoke Wheels, Tandem Axle, 18,000# FA, 38,000# RA, DO YOU WANT TO BE IN THE DUMP TRUCK BUSINESS? HERE IS YOUR CHANCE. JUST GOT IT IN. AND THIS TRUCK RUNS AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS MAXITORQUE 7 SPEED 16 FOOT DUMP BED WITH AIR TAILGATE DUAL POWER STEERING PINTLE HITCH DYNATARD FLOATS ON THE FRONT $500. TRANSPORTATION ALLOWANCE AVAILABLE ON THIS TO HELP YOU DRIVE IT HOME , Stk #KW005349, VIN #1M2P198C7KW005349, $29,995 these came from truck paper the specs on the sixth one is being sent to me today. FordL9000 thank you again for the help I know you know your trucks. John

  3. #3Ford LT-90002006-05-25 19:43

    The 88 Mack sounds okay it seems to be a converted truck tractor at one time or the other but maybe not if the body is the same year as the truck. It would be a rough riding SOB you would definatly make sure you run nice and true rubber on the drives. Camel back suspension works the best with some load on it. The 89 Mack looks even better but the 7spd is a kick in the groin if I bought that truck I would search for a Fuller 13spd that would bolt up. The 97 Ford with the C-12 Cat is definatly a tractor conversion it has a new box new PTO its on air ride I would stay away from that one. The 93 Ford is a LTL its okay but have you ever tried tilting the hood on a LTL you need a frigging forklift. The other 97 Ford doesn't sound too bad I assume the truck has 10L power so it must be a M-11 Cummins. The Fords also suffer from orange cancer pretty bad. If your looking for a dump I would stick with 44,000lb rear axles with the Macks the 38,000s are fine as those rear ends are so frigging tough they are equal to a 44,000lb Rockwell.

  4. #4jmac2006-05-25 20:14

    Thank you again you are a big help! If you had to pick one out of this list what one would you pick. How important is a jake and can you add one? The 93' Ford did not list FA weight or miles, called seller many times no answer. The converted tractor is the best looking truck by far but I will stay away from them. I think you are picking the Mack 89. $10k either way is ok if I have to. The M11 motor I was told is not that strong by someone selling trucks so is this true? I will add one more Mack to the mix in the morning getting specs on a 95 Mack $39000 250k miles. My use for the truck is this: I do not do trucking for a living. I do excavating site work etc. The heaviest machine I have is 20K plus trailer. Could add 30K machine in a few years. Many hills. I would use truck for hauling in material 2-5 times a week when I need one or two truck loads and can't wait, more than that I hire trucker with tri axle. I would do all my trucking myself when I need to haul away material because you pay by the hour for that. Thank you again for your Help.

  5. #5Jeff D.2006-05-25 21:09

    Jmac,I've driven a couple of trucks with the M11's.They aren't real powerful motors,but they do have a good reputation for dependablity(as do most Cummins,IMO). Wish I could help on the your comparison questions,but am still learning myself,when it comes to dumptrucks,and how different they are than semi's. (but,to me they all looked acceptable,depending on their actual conditions) Good Luck in your search.:thumbsup

  6. #6Ford LT-90002006-05-25 23:21

    Okay I found the one 97 Ford LT9000 on truck paper its white in color its been cleaned up I don't know if I would pay that much I would prolly offer 35,000 for it. I found the 93 LTL thats the wrong truck in the add that truck is a 98 or so pre Sterling. I found the 88 Mack with the Aluminum box that truck is a truck tractor spec'ed truck somebody has slapped a box on it. I found the 89 and its a nice looking truck ya its been cleaned up but its a TRUE dump spec'ed truck its not a converted tractor. Yes it has the odd ball transmission but it will prolly work for what you need. My choice out of the ones you have there is the 89 Mack. I'am a Ford man the Louis 9000 are good trucks. The L9000 Fords with the 222-228 wheelbase have a good turning radius they haul loads good. I'am still looking for a tandem myself if I find a good deal my trucks spec's would be 18,000lb front 44,000lb rears hendrickson spring suspension,400-444 Cummins power and 13spd. Like I meantioned the 89 Mack looks about the best bang for the buck take a mechanic friend with you to look over the trucks. A good mechanic can save you some headaches.

  7. #7jmac2006-05-26 08:34

    Ford your awesome! The 89' wins as it sits have one truck specs to see today 95' for 39k. I will put them up as soon as I get them. The 16' box is a little long for easy turning so I was told but no big deal. John

  8. #8jmac2006-05-26 13:16

    I got the specs from the 95' Mack it is 94' with the same as the 88' Mack. Dealer say's it is not a conversion. Ran the vin and found out that it was over road tractor not born a dump so the 89 wins. The truck is in Kentucy I am in New York so to far to drive it home. Delivered to me $31,000. Hope I will get what I am looking for. Thank you again for the help. Price is a little high but the truck should last a long time I hope. Thank you again Ford!

  9. #9jmac2006-05-26 14:09

    Here is the link to truck: http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...1122222&guid=687F446962DA4BD3AC19AC60E0742EE5

  10. #10cat3202006-05-26 17:07

    Looks good even have enough room for the lift axel.

  11. #11Squizzy246B2006-05-26 18:04

    I wouldn't buy that truck....someone has put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the cab :bouncegri :bouncegri :bouncegri :bouncegri

  12. #12digger242j2006-05-26 18:43

    Caution: Thread hijack in progress. (I promise this won't take long...) :wink2 Now that you've brought it up, Squizzy, obviously you're accustomed to shifting gears with your left hand, on standard transmissions, because they'd still put the gearshift on top of the gearbox. Are the pedal locations the same, or bass ackwards as well? Here, where we drive on the normal side of the road, it's clutch, brake, and accelerator, from left to right. On vehicles with the steering wheel on the wrong side, are the pedals wrong as well? It would seem odd to have the gas pedal next to the door, but I guess it would seem equally odd to have to use the left foot for the gas and the right for the clutch. How about steering column mounted gearshifts--do you shift them with the right hand, or the left?

  13. #13jmac2006-05-26 18:50

    That's ok digger hi jack away. I like your question. Think how strange that would be to have everything in the wrong position like the aussi's. It's hard enough already.:bouncegri :bouncegri

  14. #14Ford LT-90002006-05-26 19:13

    The 89 will be a wide turner Macks are really not known for the best turning radius but you can live with that. A 16' box is standard length for West Coast trucks actually we are 16'6". The longer the wheelbase better the truck will ride and better it steers. Your drive tires will last longer aswell because the weight of the load is spread out more. I wouldn't buy a truck unseen up close so any one you choose better take a drive or fly to go have a look if it looks good drives good drive it home. I learned over the years never trust pictures it may look good in pictures but get up close and its whoa what a POS. Its mainly from attending Ritchie Bros Auctions. I'am very leary of cleaned up and painted up trucks the owners are trying to hide something. Good Luck truck buying :bouncegri Oh ya I forgot tell the person your buying the truck from you want to see the truck start up cold. If they have it prewarmed up it means the sucker is a hard starter or it belches blue when its cold.

  15. #15dayexco2006-05-26 21:17

    sucker paint

  16. #16Jeff D.2006-05-26 23:54

    That really is good advice.:yup But,if you've already done the deal,then there's not much reason in worrying about it now.You'll find out soon enough. It did look good in the pictures,for whatever that's worth.Hopefully they've been straightforward with you,and it'll be exactly like you were hoping.:thumbsup If you haven't finalized anything,I think I'd buy a plane ticket,and fly down there and check it out.30K is alot to gamble. Maybe it'll work out like Steves E-bay purchase of that aluminum dump box,and you'll be pleasantly suprised when you see it.There are some good deals out there,if a guys willing to take a chance.I don't know that I would,when it's that much money though. On a different note: I've been told that some of those Mack axles have a system that engages at very slow speeds,locking the tires together,so it'll pull itself out of the slippery stuff,and it automatically disengage when you road speed increases enough.I don't know if it's fact,but it would be a nice feature,especially in a dumptruck.

  17. #17Squizzy246B2006-05-27 00:17

    The pedals are the same Digger but thats about all. I drove some in the States and its a little weird but you get used to it.:wink2

  18. #18Ford LT-90002006-05-27 00:40

    Mack 38s are usually open diffs but they are tough as h*ll they are not like other diffs they are upside down like old millitary axles. I bet those diffs in the 89 prolly haven't been opened up. The Mack camel back suspension gives the axles good articulation. The suspension is nicknamed "Break your back camel back" because it is pretty rough rider you can see that look at the spring thickness. The Camel back springs pretty much eliminate the walking beams like in a Hendrickson suspension. The 89 is a all Mack truck its not a Mutt which isn't a all Mack truck which could have a fuller transmission or hendrickson springs or engine.

  19. #19RonG2006-05-27 05:47

    On a different note: I've been told that some of those Mack axles have a system that engages at very slow speeds,locking the tires together,so it'll pull itself out of the slippery stuff,and it automatically disengage when you road speed increases enough.I don't know if it's fact,but it would be a nice feature,especially in a dumptruck. __________________ Jeff D. Jeff,you are talking about the power divider which allocates the majority of power to the wheels with the most traction.That truck has a power divider or at least the lockout switch for it is up on the dash near the ashtray.The power divider lockout assures that at least one wheel on each axle will have power.Just make sure nothing is moving when you engage it or the buzzer will not be loud enough to drown out the noise of all the parts breaking!! )Ron G

  20. #20jmac2006-05-27 09:45

    Jeff, I plan on buying airline tickets next week when I find out what is the closest airport. I did put a deposit down on the truck so I own it if I want it. I will be going by myself and flying back not driving that truck 850 miles for 15 hours no way! I will pay for shipping. Ford 9000 I looked on Iron planet and that gives me some ideas of what to inspect from the way they inspect trucks for sale. Any suggestions here on a list of things to check and what would be ok on an 89' truck. thank you, all of you guy's for the help, I know this is just a forum and I have not met any of you, but good honest advise is very hard to come by. John

  21. #21GOT HAZ?2006-06-07 18:49

    Update? How are you making out with the rig? BTW where in in cny are you?

  22. #22jmac2006-06-08 21:24

    Truck is on the low boy on it's way to me today. Should see it in about 15 hours.