Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best rust inhibitor

Clawed Backster · 2021-01-20 16:57

Had a flat rear tire on my Ford 555 a while back. Took it to a local tire shop and had them patch the tube. Dude who fixed it said that the wheel was very rusty inside, and the scales of rust had worn a hole in the tube. I didn't have time to address the issue at that time, but I am going to get a couple of new tubes and try to fix both rear wheels. I figger I'll use a sanding disk and/or a wire wheel on an angle grinder to remove the rust, but I don't know what to put on the metal to keep it from rusting again. Suggestions?

Replies15
  1. #1Coaldust2021-01-20 18:06

    After wire brushing, I would treat with navel jelly and paint with POR 15. Or, use the entire POR 15 system with their rust deactivater/primer/paint. But, it’s really not necessary for a project like this.

  2. #2Swetz2021-01-20 18:30

    2nd the POR-15, but make sure you wear long sleeved shirt and glove up or you will be black for a week .

  3. #3Delmer2021-01-20 19:02

    Pressure wash it, if that's not enough, use a needle scaler, if that's not enough, use a air chisel. Wire brush just glosses over the scaly rust that pops the tubes. I like to use zinc primer or aluminum paint on rims like this, but really haven't been doing it long enough to know if it makes a difference vs any other paint.

  4. #4Clawed Backster2021-01-20 19:20

    What is this POR 15 you speak of, and where would I get it? And, thanks for the suggestions.

  5. #5Swetz2021-01-20 20:26

    It is a gloss black paint that prevents rust. In the automotive field many paint this on the frame of a vehicle to stop rust, but it would work equally well on our equipment. Google it and you will get a bunch of info. This is a kit I recently purchased.

  6. #6edgephoto2021-01-21 00:58

    POR15 works. Inside a wheel is good. If exposed to the sun you need to top coat it. https://www.por15.com/

  7. #7Coaldust2021-01-21 02:28

    That's good advice. The sun really messes the coating up. I painted a couple of lift gates with POR-15 without top coat and and it turned chalky and cracked over the course of one summer. But, otherwise, it holds up great on frames and chassis stuff that don't receive full sun. Or, just top coat it.

  8. #8Clawed Backster2021-01-21 06:47

    Also, I have never changed a large tire with a tube. Any helpful advice to offer for when I reassemble the tire/tube/wheel? The only tubed tires that I have ever messed with are dirt bike tires. I know that alignment of the valve stem is critical, but what is the best way to get this right? Thanks in advance.

  9. #9Finca SDR2021-01-21 08:28

    I help the dudes at my local tire shop change my tires because sometimes it requires two or three guys huffing and puffing a lot, especially some front tires that are really tight. They use a tire iron that's about 5ft long. Looks like a concrete wrecking bar. And a couple slightly smaller ones. And some sledge hammers. I tried to do it at home one time with a big cro bar and a big motorcycle tire lever an no, uh-uh. Good luck I hope it goes better for you!

  10. #10Swetz2021-01-21 08:40

    I have never done it...We just sent them out, but, here is a couple of videos: 1. All 4 tires, no tubes though 2. Installing a tube My back is hurting just thinking about it!!

  11. #11Tinkerer2021-01-21 10:44

    I have had very good luck with red oxide primer after cleaning rims to clean bare metal.

  12. #12Delmer2021-01-21 10:50

    Tubes are easier on big tires than little tires in my experience. get a valve fishing tool, like a speedometer cable that goes through the valve stem hole and threads onto the valve like a cap. Easy as can be to pull the valve back out. Then just make sure the tube is back away from the bead area so you don't pinch it with the tire or bars.

  13. #13DB22021-01-21 15:07

    Here is the tool described above. Don’t forget the liner. Helps protect the tube from exactly what you’re describing.

  14. #14Clawed Backster2021-01-22 06:58

    What I am trying to avoid is having to take the tires/wheels to the tire shop 20 miles away to get them dismounted, then bring them back home to work on the wheels. Then, having to take them 20 miles back to the tire joint to get them remounted. Besides that, the tire place that I used in the past is pretty proud of their work when it is time to pay the bill.

  15. #15JL Sargent2021-01-22 07:24

    I've done several of these. I use a twisted wire cup brush on a 4 1/2 in grinder to clean the wheel. Two coats of primer and two of color. Some are 10+ years old and no redos. Tire soap can help with dismounting and mounting, but it is big job regardless. After recently dismounting and mounting with 4 new tires on my backhoe, I kinda wish I had paid somebody.