Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best small grader

tkoden ยท 2016-03-06 11:49

Up until now we have basically only done driveways under about 1000' long with our skiploader. Recently we have started getting into rural roads, our longest being 2 miles long and 12' wide. I have started to look into a grader but am having a tough time finding something small enough to be able to handle the narrow windy roads. My thought would be a 10' blade with side shift and scariffier/ripper. We also need something with a very long down travel on the blade height so we can use it to finish the rolling dips we have to put in. I don't mind an older machine but I need something that has enough power and traction to push piles of rock, since no one can spread around here. What is a lot of hrs for a grader?

Replies13
  1. #1Graderfan19812016-03-06 13:32

    Is this type of size maybe ok? https://www.facebook.com/Champion-Motor-Graders-146510765390897/photos_stream

  2. #2tkoden2016-03-06 14:35

    Unfortunately at this time I can't afford new. My budget is 50k max.

  3. #3Landclearer2016-03-06 17:13

    You might want to look for a Noram. We had one, great machine and a ton of power for its size. The controls were set up just like a full size grader and a 10 foot blade.

  4. #4Graderfan19812016-03-07 05:10

    Maybe you find an used Champion, Leeboy or Noram grader. Volvo has for short time those small types too.

  5. #5JNB2016-03-07 09:44

    I always thought that the PSI maintainers were a pretty useful looking design. The 413XT weighs about the same as a 210LE, which could be good or bad depending on your needs. They do make larger machines too. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1048/motor-graders?Manu=PSI Product specs are here http://www.4amauldin.com/service%20support/literature%20and%20manuals/Product_Literature/M413XT_Product_Literature.pdf .

  6. #6cuttin edge2016-03-10 21:15

    Keep in mind that the maintainer graders, while nifty little graders are driven by hydraulic motors and need to be floated from one job to another. A used compact champion would be handy. As far as hours go, as long as the machine has been kept up, it shouldn't make much difference.

  7. #7therabbittree2016-04-12 08:20

    I'd look at a Austin Western they are reasonable priced, 4 wheel steer, 4 wheel drive, and hydraulic control, and smaller in size. 21' hub to hub.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2016-04-12 10:13

    The old 212 Cat graders were rock solid and still a few of them around. They are based on a D2 engine. The only problem is dealing with pony motors unless you convert to direct electric start, and they still have the knuckle buster controls. Tough old machines that can be had for $5 to 10 thousand in decent shape. I still grade trails for the DNR with one, 10 ft blade and equipped with a ripper.

  9. #9RonG2016-04-12 11:24

    Funny,when I went through the army heavy equipment school at Ft Leonard Wood in 1960 those were the two brands that we trained on.I bent the hardware on the Austin Western trying to slope a bank and my instructor said I would never be an operator.Oh well.....Ron G

  10. #10John C.2016-04-12 19:11

    Your price range is the limiting factor. Keep your eyes open for government surplus or ex-municipality machines. I've seen plenty of old county machines in pretty good shape that go for a song. Plenty of people are looking for them also so don't be afraid to jump if the right machine comes up. Old Cat, Galion, Austin Western, Allis Chalmers or maybe even a decent Huber might serve your purpose.

  11. #11shaggy6502016-04-12 20:09

    Look at John Deere 570, they can be had pretty cheap, and I think some have a 10 moldboard

  12. #12repowerguy2016-04-12 21:29

    503L Galion, these have the reverser so you can back up fast if needs be. The IH engine is underwhelming, the 3-53 would be the best choice if available.

  13. #13DIYDAVE2016-04-14 21:25

    Don't rule out an old, faithful AC D or DD or 65 grader, they work great, in tight areas. Also have tilting front wheels, to flick the trim off of cars, attempting to pass...