I just purchased a john deere 570A grader that has 3700 hours on it its been well maintained by a municipal city . It was maintained every 150 hours engine oil ,trans filter and hydraulic filter along with fuel filter and air . My question is how do these graders start in colder weather ? when it gets down below 40 degrees it is very hard to start. when its warmer there is no problem. I noticed it has a block heater in it . also has new batteries . I read some where that certain series of john deere motors don't like cold weather could this be one? when it dose start up it dosent smoke and dose not show any blow by when warm . any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
My experience with the Deere's of that vintage with the rotary pumps like the 570A, they were all hard to start when it got down near freezing. Lots of variables. Is it turning very slow like it's dragging? Two possible sources of drag, the hydraulic pump runs off the end of the crankshaft, for cold starting if it has a solenoid valve in the stroke control make sure it's getting power while cranking. If it doesn't have a solenoid valve there will be a screw with a small tee handle you turn all the way in to destroke the pump for starting, might help. Also, yours may or may not have a disconnect clutch to help with cold starts, I think there was a lever in the cab if so equipped but don't quote me. Other than that, injectors, injector pump, old fuel? It should have the fitting in the cab you insert the spigot of a John Deere starting fluid can to give her a jolt when cranking.
I have minimal issues starting mine in temps down to 10 F. Use your block heater for 1/2 to one hr. I will also warm the battery with a charge at the same time. Never had to disconnect the pump yet. 3500 hrs? Repowered? The machine must be at least 25 years old.
thank you for the info. It is a 1980 according to the title witch it would make it at least 35 years old. I would not have bought it but it seemed very clean and had all the work records with it . It had a complete transmission overhaul at 3500 hours with receipts from the john deere dealer for 21,000 dollars . It also has 80% Michelin radials on it . every thing works on it like it came from the factory including the saddle pins. I know some of the john deere AG tractors with that series of motor could have been cold weather sensitive . How are they for there parts availability? hopefully I wont need to source many. I have it in the shop for the past week and have not seen any leaks or drips . Is there any advice on anything I should be aware of.
thank you for the info. It is a 1980 according to the title witch it would make it at least 35 years old. I would not have bought it but it seemed very clean and had all the work records with it . It had a complete transmission overhaul at 3500 hours with receipts from the john deere dealer for 21,000 dollars . It also has 80% Michelin radials on it . every thing works on it like it came from the factory including the saddle pins. I know some of the john deere AG tractors with that series of motor could have been cold weather sensitive . How are they for there parts availability? hopefully I wont need to source many. I have it in the shop for the past week and have not seen any leaks or drips . Is there any advice on anything I should be aware of.
What a deal! Sounds near new. Mine is repowered with 2800 hrs since 1992, same transmission. Most of the problem stem from poor operators that were afraid of grease. Watch for looseness when the moldboard makes contact with the ground. Take shims out as needed. Keep up on checking the fluids and grease. Keep the circle teeth greased and spin it around to complete the job. Oil sample tests will help for resale. Buy some anti seize and use it on wheel lugs and hubs, saddle and pins. You are not going to like greasing the front end, especially the steering ram pins hidden back in the darkest place, but do it often. Judging from my service records, the valve bank was an expensive fix. My dealer refers to my machine as obsolete. I think that this gives them the opportunity to charge double. Many of these machines were made, so salvage parts are available. A good mechanic with John Deere experience is a plus. Keep those maintenance records up and let me know when you want to sell. A good machine for maintenence grading that has all the functions of a bigger unit. Mine has served me well and I got a good education in the art of grading, but not for free. ☺
Couple of questions concerning the power train in these machines. Do the connecting rods on the 6059 need retorked around 5000 hrs? I read that some where here, but haven't been able to confirm. Would destroking the main pump stop the chattering noises I hear at certain rpm ranges?
Chattering may be the pump drive, if you can see it or reach it check for slop in the damper/splines/pins, etc.
Nope, I can get to that and it's OK. After checking the technical manual I found a trouble shooting section that mentioned chattering, however it was in the transmission section, which corrlates with rpm ranges that I hear it, sometimes. Now the possible cause column is blank and no mention made of any solutions. The section on transmission recommends a analyzer contraption that only a serious mechanic would have. I'm thinking that maybe I need to check out the agricultural dealer as I understand that the 570A transmission was created there. Mostly I just need to know if this could get serious as $ 21 grand would scrap this machine. Thanks for you reply.