Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best small mini excavator

Keith Merrell ยท 2023-06-22 22:38

Hello everyone, I've been kicking the idea of buying a super small mini for a while, either one of the ride on ones like the Kubota kx008, or something such as a Deere 17G or 26G. Mostly for digging utility trenches up close to houses, and helping with backfilling the outside of stemwalls on really tight lots. Any opinions or recommendations?

Replies4
  1. #1Smo Noking2023-07-04 13:00

    Hi, I went for a yanmar vio12 last year, little 1.2 ton machine. I was mainly looking at the same applications as you, smallish jobs, tight spots, also easy of transportation. I found the compromise of a 0.8 ton class machine like the kx008 was just too much, in terms of power and stability, also I found the 2 cylinder diesels just too rough to my taste. I think these really only apply if you have to work inside buildings and such. The 1.2 ton machine for me hit the sweet spot, I like the longer tracks and wider (adjustable) stance while still able to squeeze through tight spots, and also the 3 cylinder diesel is butter smooth. Was also looking at the bobcat E10, kubota U10, also very smooth machines. Remarkably capable too, for their size.

  2. #2PeterG2023-07-04 14:39

    We have a Takeuchi TB016. I added a thumb, a bigger 12" digging bucket, a wider 3' wide bucket, and a concrete breaker that also works on my Dingo. The 1.5 ton machine can do so much! The boom is big enough to lift things off a truck or out of dump trailer and move around the job site such as a plate compactor, jumping jack, a small concrete basin, job site materials etc.

  3. #3Rhinoc692024-07-08 07:51

    Hey Peter. Can I ask what it cost to add the thumb? Thanks, Mark

  4. #4PeterG2024-07-08 15:34

    The machine is a 2003 model which I got used. In 2011 when I got the machine I added the thumb. There were no factory mounts. I found a local company in the Tacoma WA area called Peckweld to build one for the machine. Cost back then looking at my paperwork was $1,801. This was for a custom made one, not a kit. Maybe look for a Company near by you that fabricates heavy duty excavator buckets etc, Regarding the welding of the thumb to the stick, this seems like a big deal. I have another Takeuchi machine, a TB153FR that when I bought it, it did not have a thumb. Takeuchi did have a kit to be welded on. The dealer at the time had terrible welders. Looked like a rookie fooled around. I had to have the dealer redo the welding. On this site, search thumb welding. Some people have seen the welds fracture into the stick around the thumb mounting area. Operation of the thumb is not foot pedal on the TB016 but on the joy stick.