Im looking to buy a Kubota KX057. My biggest question is can i legally tow it with my Class B CDL. Im from New York and i have heard that as long as my pickup truck(Chevy 2500 Diesel), trailer and Excavator stay under 26k Pounds i can legally drive it, even though the excavator is around 13k pounds. I wish i just got the Class A but because my job only required the B i just got lower one. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
First off, towing that size excavator with a 3/4 ton pickup is unsafe, regardless of the truck/trailer combo you come up with to stay under class A. I tow that size excavator with a Ford F700 diesel with air brakes and an 11 ton pintle hitch trailer, and you know its back there. Second, since you already have a class B, it’s a lot easier to get your class A then starting from scratch. In many states all you have to do is take the written/road tests and you can move up to class A. With that being said, I would strongly recommend nothing less than a class 6 medium duty truck for moving an excavator that size. Another route would be to get a class 6 or larger truck that you could just carry the excavator on the back of, and then you’d also be legal with your class B CDL.
Either upgrade to class A CDL, or get a ramp truck. Like the other fella said no safe way to tow a machine that heavy with a 2500. I used a dually 3500 for a short time towing a TB260 and thought that was pushing it even with a gooseneck. No way around it in this business, get the class A. I believe with Buttgigs new federal rule you will have to go to school to upgrade from B to A, so I understand the frustration of CDL change. If its a no go, buy the ramp truck or Ive even seen heavy duty 10 wheel roll backs. Good luck.
I agree with both of them. Towing a 057 with your 2500 is not safe. I have a KX040-4 and tow it on a 16K rated trailer behind my GMC 2500 Duramax and it's all it can handle. I can set cruise at 70mph and it will maintain the given speed over mountains but the the trailer and 040 want to push you hard on braking, even with the engine brake on and the trailer brake set in 4.5-5.0 range. I originally set out to buy a 057 and it was by shear luck I ended up with a 040. I didn't realize until then it was fantasy to think I could have used my truck/trailer combo to safely transport the 057.
What type of trailer do you have and what is its GVW? Is it electric brakes? What type of work will you be using the excavator for? A roll off or ramp truck sounds good. Maybe Class 7 size though.
My 24K gooseneck with a 13600 pound Taki has a gross combined weight of 30,500 pounds towing it with 3500 DRW. I don't see you staying under 26K with that set up. Pulling it with a bumper pull, would likely put you over pickup ratings and I wouldn't advise pulling it with a tag trailer. Much depends on what year the pickup is, the GM tow ratings were increased considerably in 2020 and newer. If you had a newer 3500 DRW diesel, I would pull that everyday, cause I do. I go up and down the biggest mnt passes in Idaho and its safe and legal, at least here. You don't need a F700 or class 7 to pull that unless NY says somewhere you do. You will need a class A, there is no sense in trying to work around it, just go through the asss tax it takes and get it done.
Whatever NSHK decides, I hope he posts some pictures in the Overload of the Day, thread.