HI All, I have to install about 400 feet of main water line for my house and trench in several hundred feet of drain pipe etc ... With that , I am looking to buy a trencher in the $2000 to $3500 price range. ( I don't want to rent because it's crazy expensive and I may be able to use the trencher So far I have found a few decent machines to choose from... (in no particular order) 1) Ditch Witch J20 2) Ditch Witch 2200 3) Ditch witch r40 4) vermeer v 440 (has a backhoe on it but needs TLC on the back hoe part (hoses and possibly ???) 5) Case davis 25+4 (needs muffler) has bore attachment How are parts availability / cost on these I like the ability to go 3 to 4 feet deep and wide enough to do 4" drain tile Which one or ones would you recommend? Any other ones to look for ? Thanks in advance for any and all help Andrew
Personally , I would rent a mini excavator. Easier to install the drain line. Easier to grade the drain line out. Easier to install waterline. You can shade the waterline and drain line with dirt and see that the backfill doesn't have any big rocks hitting the pipes. You can backfill ditches with blade on mini excavator. You don't have to put a bunch of money into fixing these cheap machines. I don't usually try to burst someone's bubble , but trying to keep you from a big headache. I have had a trencher before and many mini excavators. Trencher need ideal soil conditions with very few to no rocks. Just my opinion. Another option, if you don't have machine experience , would be to hire a person with a mini excavator to come over and do the machine work. It shouldn't take more than one day to finish those 2 projects you talked about. I don't know what kind of dirt you have at your property. That would be the unknown that may be a decision maker also. Doug
I have a RT-40 that I am in the process of refurbishing. I can tell you they are a tuff little machine but they live a tough life even when well taken care of. If you don't have a lot of future work just rent something. Parts are expensive. I have spent over 2k on all hoses, bushings and seals and have a way to go.
HI, Thanks for the input guys .... I'll check into the price of renting equipment but in our area stuff goes for really high .... Last I looked (awhile back) renting a small terramite backhoe was something like $400 for a day ..... I'll call around and see tho .... the appeal of buying a $2000 to $3000 machine is for just a couple days rental a large chunk of the machine is paid for .... PLUS I do have the possibility of doing a job for a person I know so I could probably knock off probably another $500 ..... Of course all assuming the machine works and doesn't break down on me too soon ..... Thanks