Wondering if 3/4 to 7/8 throttle is better for all systems on the machine verses maybe 1/3 throttle? Will things run cooler at a higher rpm rather than straining at a lower rpm? Does this make sense? I always operate slowly and deliberately even when I need full power for something heavy (pool steps) Where is a good place to keep the throttle on a regular basis? Thanks to all
Unless I need to slow the function down, I run wide open.
I generally run my excavators wide open, dozer 7/8, tractors at PTO rpm range. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They wouldn't give you full throttle if it was going to hurt it, what hurts it is poor maintenance. Keep your fluids and filters changed as recommended and keep the radiator and oil cooler blown out. Throttle down when you need finesse, wide open to git r done.
I don't like running things wide open, just not how Dad raised me. That said, excavator usually 3/4, dozer about 2/3. The tractor only ran wide open when plowing, otherwise just enough to make it sound happy. Lugging is the worst thing of all.
Especially on newer machines, they need heat to run clean and efficient, so keep them in the upper quarter for sure after the initial cold start. :my2c
Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep her wicked up. Another question, somewhat on topic, what is the best shutdown procedure? Idel down 30 seconds... 5 minutes... 1/8 throttle for a bit? I have the opportunity to shut down a lot of times during the day (waiting on cans) but just want to do the best thing for my machine. Thanks again
Definitely best to run the engine wide open so that the cooling system can operate at maximum efficiency. For a turbo engine shutdown to idle, run for 5 minutes while you do your end of shift greasing and visual inspection, then key off. Alternatively fit a programmable shutdown timer that allows you to pull the key out and walk away leaving the machine with the engine still running. On a non-turbo engine you can just shut it straight off. They don't get hot enough to need a cooling down period.
Run the thing wide open. As for warm up and **** down. I just read an article written by Cat for equipment that states warm up time should and only needs to be about 5 minutes of ideal and for shutting down older equipment 2 minutes and newer only needs about 30 seconds. Shut of at lunch.
I've only had one turbo failure in all the machines I've ever ran, and that one I ran very little before the failure. Years and years of loading gravel in the pit, after the last bucket the loader runs MAYBE 30 seconds and it's key off and rock on. My trucks and scraper tractors I let run for at least 5 min. My Case hoe is a completely different animal though. I've just accepted the fact that it needs to "do it's thing" and shut down automatically so it doesn't give me the IMPOROPER STUTDOWN warning.
WOT while you work it ! Let her cool down while you walk it back to the truck . Kill it .
I agree with kevin . wheel loaders and tractors . Some people floor them all they to the parking area and some of those will wait 5 minutes ,some wont . Where possible I ease off the gas in good time and dont wait so long then . But it all depends how hard the machine is working .
Does this pertain to all size excavators? Or just larger ones.
On Volvo excavators low throttle speed is used for fine controls or heavy lifting. If you keep the throttle low (in the blue section) the machine will be able to lift heavy loads easier. It doesn't seem right but it works. I haven't seen this on other brands, just Volvo.
Mine is a 2003. Does this still pertain? Sure is the opposite of what you would think. I'll try it the next time I'm trying to get those pool steps in the can.
So does it cool down faster by slowing the engine, or do you leave the speed the same and count the time walking as lower load and cool down time? I'm curious what the opinions are on cooling down at low idle vs high idle? When I shut off something that's hot from working hard, I let it rev for a minute and shut it off. Unless I'm getting out for several minutes to do something else and letting it run while it cools down, then low idle is fine. I figure it doesn't take much more load to run the engine at close to high idle, than it does at low idle, and the water pump flow is higher and fan is also moving more air.
I don't care to let an engine run any higher than ¾ throttle in a "no load" condition for any amount of time. Just my preference.
Yair . . . A little O/T but similar . . . When pulling we occasionally had a situation where machines were over heating due to an unexpected patch of flowering vegetation or just plain too much dust, The only solution was a washout of the radiators and some times it was a battle to nurse them back to camp. Those older machines cooled down much quicker at high idle than they did at lower settings and at low idle the temperatures increased. Working they ran continuous at WOT with a couple of extra bumps on the lever to make sure you had the lot. Once they started to over heat just knocking the revs back a smidgeon and keeping the blade low to avoid recirculation would often get you home. Cheers.
I remember my first TEREX experience, one of the "older" operators took me aside and said do you know how to operate that Green Machine? ... Yep, when it makes smoke and noise its working! ... Wrong! ... First place your hand in the door, use other hand to slam door on first hand! ... now your MAD! ... then you start the SOB and run it WOT !!! Now I'm older and poorer with my Cat digger it depends if fine grading (6) or bulking (8-9) My Komatsu dozer gets full noise for best production ... (almost like a Terex)
On ours the display has the throttle positions in colors, starts with light blue and dark blue then to green then yellow and red is full. The window has a sticker with descriptions, blue is fine control and heavy lift, yellow is general work, red is high production. Your operators manual should explain
Sounds like I've been doing it wrong. I have been using my old 3 ton komatsu at low revs (about 1/2) all this time thinking it was going to save the old hydraulic pump from dying! Seems like I might have been doing more harm than good. Would you guys still run an old machine 4000+hours at full revs? Is there any benefit to backing it off a bit?
Most of our equipment has over 10000 hrs wide open is all they see. The engine is built for wot
That doesn't really make sense on an excavator IMO.
Hammer down, wide open, some tractors do not produce well with less throttle. Only time I idle down with track machine is when traveling on hard ground or if it has a foot de-accelerator peddle when close to obstacles and changing from forward to reverse.
Tommo, every machine has a sweet spot, if wide open throttle is causing problems on an old machine or it is hard to operate smooth than do what seems comfortable but if it is in reasonable shape it won't hurt a thing. Like was mentioned don't lug it. I can't think of one excavator I have run that I ran at less than full throttle. And over time as things wear sometimes it won't get full throttle without some adjustments or re calibrating the throttle control in the case of some Cats that I am familiar with.
Holy mother of God.... I bet somebody had to do some 'splainin' about that little issue??????????
Yair . . . . Hey fellers, that's from another thread . . . I have no idea how it got here . . . it was deleted, I thought. The moderators may care to remove it? Cheers.
I thought perhaps it was the result of running at high idle unloaded, lol :tong
Idled to long, carboned up and the piston stuck causing the bent rod. Should have been run at high idle. Just a guess.
High idle, 84 rpm?