Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best way to flush a hydraulic system?

Mikefromcny ยท 2010-11-04 22:37

The oil in my Ford 555 is looking a bit creamy..Its been sitting for a week so I dont think it would be full of air if it was cavitated. Whats the best way to flush the system? I can suck about 5 gals out of the Hyd oil tank in the nose, not sure what to do about the rest of the system..any ideas guys? Thanks!:beatsme

Replies11
  1. #1Curbster2010-11-05 00:50

    Cream with that Coffee? I have seen the hydraulic oil turn to this colour when water enters the hydraulic system at some point. There are several areas where moisture and rain can get into the system if gaskets, caps, breathers, etc. are not sealing or protected like they are supposed to be. Also if you leave a pail of hydraulic oil out in the rain or snow you will have moisture enter the container, and it is very hard to detect when you are pouring it into the tank, until the deed is done! I'm not exactly sure on how you would go about draining the whole system, but I'm sure some wise mechanically inclined person would know the proper, and most effective method of achieving this. Good luck!

  2. #2Mikefromcny2010-11-05 01:08

    I am thinking it was from my excessive pressure washing, trying to get the years of grime off my machine. I described the symptoms to my boss..(A loud hydraulic whine between 1000-1200 rpm). He said it sounded like air getting into the system, but its been sitting for the last week, and the oil still has a creamy look.

  3. #3davidd2010-11-05 20:45

    Mike, there was a thread on here a few months back that described how to drain a Hyd system. It was something like raise the front bucket and hoe boom, then disconnect return hoses and let the buckets down. Search back and perhaps you will find it . Or some good wrencher may resend it or know where it is at. But just changing oil in the tank will get only about half the gunk. Also know what to do before starting as hyd. will hurt you. David d.

  4. #4Tinkerer2010-11-06 08:41

    Here is a couple of the links for the hydraulic flush procedure.

  5. #5Mikefromcny2010-11-08 01:39

    Thanks for the help guys, will try this weekend.

  6. #6Nick & Pat2021-11-09 10:37

    thank you for the help

  7. #7Nick & Pat2021-11-09 10:38

    thank you for your help

  8. #8Nick & Pat2021-11-09 10:39

    thank you for the advice

  9. #9Nick & Pat2021-11-09 10:40

    thank you

  10. #10Nick & Pat2021-11-09 10:41

    thank you for your help

  11. #11Tinkerer2021-11-09 10:57

    Unfortunately mikefromcny hasn't posted what he did or his results. The last time he logged in was Feb.14,2021.