Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wain roy

CANNONMAN1 ยท 2010-11-05 04:19

Anyone have experience with the Wain Roy coupler and bucket system? Is this a good setup. Looking to buy a package with a couple of buckets and coupler for a medium size backhoe. Like the idea of one pin and what looks like an easy way to switch between buckets. No one around here seems to use them and has no info. Good setup or problem equipment? Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1nilzlofgren2010-11-05 15:09

    If you go with the Wain Roy setup, you can only use Wain Roy buckets. You might be able to go with a different brand of coupler, that offers a pin grabber type setup to use multiple brand buckets.

  2. #2heavylift2010-11-05 15:22

    I've used them... Ok for a manual ... they had them on their rubber tires and a couple of mini's and a 190 deere 12" up to 42" and they tend to get pretty sloppy after a few years... but that nothing a welder can't fix..

  3. #3joeeye592010-11-07 09:29

    WainRoy I bought my JD 310c with the WainRoy backhoe bucket already on it, it's great for easy on easy off if you needed to drop the weight on the back for certain jobs, I don't have any other buckets but I'm sure its a great system to have if you are always swapping out buckets... but the thing that happen over a few thousand hours is right where the bucket hinges on when setting it into place has worn down on the ends, and now the bucket moves side to side real sloppy like... I don't know if its my fault because I should have kept it greased? but I think it can't be an area to have kept grease on it, because it's not like its a moving part... I have a post some where showing pictures of it when I was talking about the teeth on it. if anybody wants to see pics here let me know.... I've never seen any other fast connect buckets to compare, but if I was going to get more WainRoy product, first I'd look into why my WainRoy hoe bucket now has a lot of side to side slop on it and if its my fault...

  4. #4WayneS2011-03-16 02:25

    Wainroys are use by alot of operators. its a matter of personal preference. Like buying a Ford or Chevy. All Quick Couplers seem to get alot of wear. Its the nature of the beast. If its a good deal buy em. Wayne

  5. #5Deon2011-03-16 20:47

    I have a 310D with a Wain Roy coupler. I have two buckets. I welded two angle irons on each bucket. The angle irons fit tight up against the sides of the coupler. That takes the side slack out and makes it easier to align the pin when changing buckets.

  6. #6Deeretime2011-03-16 21:03

    I have one for sale off of a 710j with a bucket 500 and you can hace bolth used for 200hrs

  7. #7barnumb2011-05-11 11:29

    Have one on my 310. I love it got a 1', 2,' ,3', 5' ditching bucket and a frost hook. Can change them out in about a minute.

  8. #8jeff 312011-05-11 20:52

    Wainroys are great. Had them on a 510 B and a 310 SE. We had four or five buckets and a hoepack and breaker. Saves a lot of time and frustration.

  9. #9nedly052011-05-12 05:06

    Just make sure you have a good retainer pin. The retainer pin on mine keeps bending, so I have to replace it frequently. I have had the bucket fall off a couple times, luckily no one was nearby. Mine is pretty loose too, could use some shimming.

  10. #10roadrunner812011-05-12 11:56

    If I had the choice I would stay away from the Wain Roy, every machine that I've operated with one was sloppy and clanky. I prefer a wedge style coupler that maintains original bucket geometry, although I see a lot of backhoes with the pin grabber style which I still prefer over the Wain Roy

  11. #11will104cpwd2011-05-29 11:15

    Well i use a wain roy xls system every day and it works alright and never had any real problems except for a wanting other brand buckets, i just got a central fabricators pavement ripping bucket and i had to get a $1000 adapter for the bucket to work with the system. but its what the city bought. given i use some hydraulic attachments i would have preferred an oil quick system but it is what it is. good luck with your decision making process.

  12. #12hiluxman2011-06-24 18:49

    i made the mistake of putting one on my Case 580K it had lots of problems for one you cant use other brand buckets sort of like the Bobcat x change system a good at some times coupler but a problem most of the time when i had my 580K i would sometimes use the bucket to breake up cocreate it was almost imposible to find a breaker none would ever fit with out a a complete modifcation so thats why i used the bucket as a braker and a hoe-pack so dont get one and some time i whould dig with the wrong bucket snice it was hard to get buckets for that coupler

  13. #13LT-x72011-06-24 23:10

    I have a wain roy coupler, I've put 4-500 hours on it and I'm happy so far. I'm not sure about the interchangeability some are talking about, I have 3 cp buckets and 1 tag buckets, all of them fit fine. The biggest positive I've found is the rental yards around me have piles of buckets they are willing to part with.

  14. #14DGODGR2011-06-25 00:03

    These were very popular in CA when I lived back there. I don't like them myself. They get sloppy too fast and the pin can be difficult to remove. In order to get the slop out you have to replace a "wear strip" and that requires cutting the old one off and welding a new one on, or welding more material on it and grinding it back flat. I had the choice and opted to get regular pin on buckets with the last TLB that I bought. I can change buckets just as fast (have 5 buckets and a compaction wheel= plenty of practice) yet it remains much tighter. The machine has over 12,000 hours now and I still have the OEM pins and the original bushings in the bucket ears. I'm not sure if they are/were as popular on the East Coast so you may find it harder to get additional buckets.

  15. #15Deon2011-06-25 21:25

    What brand and model do you have with 12,000 hours? Thats a lot of hours. You must take good care of you things especially to still have OEM pins and bushings at the bucket rotation.

  16. #16DGODGR2011-06-27 00:12

    '97 Cat 416C