Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best way to get into heavy machinery

wolfgrrl ยท 2012-06-05 13:57

I have a friend who would dearly love to get into the heavy machinery field. She has a CDL B, and has worked heavy machinery before, just not on a job site. Mostly on the farm that her family has. What would be the best way to get into it? Are there unions specific to HM that take apprentices? Any advise would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1Buckethead2012-06-07 20:05

    As for an apprentice program go to iuoe.org to find a local in your area. The other way is to start out as a laborer or roller operator or end dump operator and try to advance from there.

  2. #2TEC2012-06-07 20:40

    With three points of contact. Tom

  3. #3CRAFT2012-06-07 21:22

    I'd like to 2nd that ....... LOL ..... that would be my first choice !

  4. #4770G2012-06-07 23:09

    I'll 3rd it!!!!! Lmao

  5. #5SeaMac2012-06-09 20:02

    I'll add my two cents here if I may while recognizing the OSHA safety comments, that's funny. I got into Heavy Equipment Operating by attending a trade school in Orange Park, Florida called National Training. Suprisingly it was money well spent, back in 1985 the instructors were seasoned old timers and really knew their craft and enjoyed sharing the knowledge. There are other schools out there and like Buckethead said, there's the IUOE too if your in a unionized state. Good luck, and remember three points of contact si what you will learn...

  6. #6CM19952012-06-09 20:15

    Well that is the first "step"...

  7. #7770G2012-06-09 22:02

    Great college if your in Canada.... Well Ontario for that matter. Sir Sanford Fleming College, they have a heavy equipment operators course and a mechanics course. CAT covers half the cost of enrollment and take 70% of grads as new employees. They have a huge shed with lots of equipment to play with.

  8. #8bch2012-06-11 09:51

    in alberta and bc as well..

  9. #9CM19952012-06-11 19:08

    Cat is hiring 70% of the total grads or just 70% of the mechanics?

  10. #10770G2012-06-11 20:57

    Yes 70% of total grads (is what the college claims)......... But I'd image that it's more in favor of mechanic grads.