Hi all. Engine guys hopefully will know. It’s on the #5 cap flywheel side. The instructions are impossible to see in the manual on my computer. It says to use 5 or 6 steps per side packing with a special tool. I have a piece of brazing rod that will fit in groove for packing it in. Do you poke one strand at a time until it reaches the top? It calls for a cork gasket in the top horizontal groove after sides are done.
I’ll try and explain what we are looking at here. The top of the #5 cap seals against the flywheel housing on its outer face and the top of it becomes part of the oil pan sealing surface. The cap has a groove on the top and sides. Manual says fit 5 or 6 pieces of the asbestos gasket into each side then the cork gasket on top. I’ve never done this before so I was hoping someone with experience can make sure I’m done it right. The first pic is from on top of #5 cap then second from further back and last from far end.
James what engine is this?
S4D 130-1 Komatsu
Where would a person get that material nowadays? That seems to be what they mean pushing one at a time and building them up 6 per side. Is there a sealant coating on them? So is the rear seal a rope type too?
A 4 cylinder Komatsu that is a very difficult customer. @tctractors
I have been a mechanic for over 45 years and have done a lot of engine work and I have never seen a main cap sealed that way. I searched the internet and could not find anything. I stumbled across an Ebay seller selling a manual for your engine. He had a few pictures of the open manual to show the condition I suspect. Amazingly one of the open pages shows the info you need. See below.
If you can get a piece of key stock that fits fairly close to the cavity you are putting the strips in would bu my method. If you save the image and open on your computer you can blow it up a bit. It looks like he is tapping the seal strips in with a hammer. I'm going into town later. I think I will buy a lottery ticket!
Several gas were sealed that way with side preformed tapered seals, the later design used a grooved piece with a long steel pin driven in to expand. Chrysler and mainly Ford used that system on early Y Blocks and all FE series. Right along with the early rope rear main seal then two piece rubber. *
mekanik. Way nicer picture compared to what I have been looking at. Thanks for this.
The piece of brazing rod I have fits in the groove nicely. I nipped the centre core of it to make the end square. I'll tamp one piece at a time till its full. I don't have any key stock that small on hand and I'm to lazy to run to town.