Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best way to sell logging equipment

hazard ยท 2016-08-09 11:16

What's the best way to sell used logging and road building equipment. I know some of the stuff is very junky looking but perfect for fix up or rebuild. It's worth more to me in parts than what people are offering, but it is all extra equipment and the money would be good. Hate to see wanted gear. Also, anyone know people in New Zealand who need a 124 yarder, no one in BC buying at moment

Replies7
  1. #1hazard2016-08-09 11:19

    Spell check I meant "wasted" equipment, not "wanted". Damn auto spell!

  2. #2John C.2016-08-10 00:34

    Used up forestry ron is hard to sell at anytime. You have to price it right and have plenty of time on the yard for the right situation to come up. The auctions are bad for anything that has been in the woods. Best return is private sale. After that it is probably consignment with a dealer who has access with and internet marketing site.

  3. #3hazard2016-08-10 20:51

    Thanks for reply, that's kind of what I was thinking, my biggest issue is how much to invest in fixing before selling. Hard to find that line to improve it for saleability and recovering improvement costs. Real sad as much of it is great stuff with a small investment. Thanks

  4. #4ATCme2016-08-11 15:32

    What else do you have? I'm looking for a dozer to push some gravel around on my road. Not worried about doing a little bit of work on it.

  5. #5hazard2016-08-11 20:45

    I have a lot of gear for sale. Mostly excavators with BC road builder packages, I do have a D4 Cat for sale. Older, doesn't look great but we just tore it down and fixed all, I like it and have operated a lot for spreading gravel. ROPS with open cab, winch no arch, 5 way blade.

  6. #6John C.2016-08-12 18:43

    What I like to do is repair the obvious stuff like hydraulic oil leaks, maybe put new cushions on the operator seat or have the old ones reupholstered, spend some money on cleaning and make sure the fluids are all up to date on the maintenance schedule. Make sure all the controls work proper, get all the lights working and look for and repair any cracks. After all that I leave it up to the buyers inspection to negotiate any more repairs. I have used My Little Salesman in the past to advertise forestry stuff. They are not cheap and I don't know how many people list there anymore. They are on line and they do have a lot of listings. If it is a Cat I would consider consign on CatUsed. If a Deere they have a web site now that works OK. I don't know of any Komatsu web site and the dealer in my area of Washington State doesn't want anything to do with used iron anyway.

  7. #7ATCme2016-08-12 18:54

    Pm sent.