Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing a forestry mulching set up and starting an operation. I'm working on my due diligence now and trying to get a game plan. I understand this is a niche industry and was wondering if anyone out there had any advice I could use. Also is there a sustainable market for this in areas such as Tn, I'm trying to justify buying this equipment. Thanks in advance.
Tracked skid steer w/ a heavy duty brush cutter/masticator
I'm currently looking at a terex pt100 with a loftness or fecon head. I'm just trying to justify spending this money. I got the numbers worked out. Just wondering if the market is there in TN. I'd hate to drop 70gs and it collect dust lol
I'm on the wrong side of the country to help you there... haha... Up here in the Pacific Northwest its a good business plan to get into mulching/clearing with the fire prevention craze... Sorry
I'm in North Carolina and it's a great business if you have a good client base. Have you talked with any potential customers? If you don't at least have a verbal commitment from someone to give you some work when you buy the equipment, don't do it! If you already have interest from people wanting you to do the work, go for it. The dealership I work for does a lot of forestry mulching packages on track loaders and excavators. I recommend either a Fecon or Denis Cimaf mulching head. Both are great products and priced about the same. Support is great as well. Also, I would look at some other machines besides a Terex. The track system is great for low ground pressure, but durability has been an issue dating back to when it was an ASV product. Also, I've had a technician tell me the hydraulics are junk. About the toughest machine on the market is a Takeuchi. Yes, I sell Takeuchi products, but you're in TN and I'm in NC, so it's not like I'm trying to sell you one, just trying to help.
I am in North Carolina and am in the process of buying a CAT 299 D XHP and 418 C mulcher. I work for CAT for 16 years now. Been operating CAT equipment for 6 years now. I too have people verbally committed to having me clear some trails and logged acreage. It is still a big step to take. I have run mulchers for several years now but only have a couple of hundred hours total.