Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best winter boots for a mobile mechanic.

RLU_tech · 2019-02-08 18:36

So what is the best winter boot for a heavy equipment mechanic who is on the road? What do you wear for the cold, snow, slush, water, ice, etc.??

Replies29
  1. #1funwithfuel2019-02-08 18:56

    Hard to beat a good pair of Redwings. The American made ones. The Chinese, Irish setters aren't necessarily bad, just not as good as the premium wings. But they're pricey. Approximately 300 around here. Dangers are a close 2nd but dont have the dealer network/ support. Just my 2cents worth

  2. #2RLU_tech2019-02-08 19:00

    I have the Red Wings you’re talking about. They’re great boots in a dry scenario, but with slush or snow, you’ve got wet feet.

  3. #3funwithfuel2019-02-08 19:22

    Mine repel water real good. Dont think they'll last 8-10 hours with out some over shoes. I roll with 2 pair in the truck one on and a bag of extra dry socks. I can't work with wet feets. I refuse to be more miserable than I usually am. And stupid autocorrect swapped dangers for Danners.

  4. #4DMiller2019-02-08 20:15

    I worked in Carolinas a lot, my feet came oversized so end up in high dollar shoe stores special order or on line buys, Carolinas(safety toe) had a bigger toe box as I found.

  5. #5funwithfuel2019-02-08 20:32

    Heard good things about Carolinas, just haven't ever seen a pair. I hear they are a quality boot, long life and can actually be re-soled . Not common anymore. Just the opposite here, hardly ever find my size, they dont usually stock them that small.

  6. #6Old Doug2019-02-08 20:39

    I have a pair of the Redwings they are good but they say to spray with some kind of spray i have been useing boot oil or saddle soap. If its real bad a like over boots. I use the 2 buckle ones alot. They keep your feet warm,dry and if your welding you will not burn holes in a 200.00 pair of boots. If your in deep mud you can take them off and have clean boots.They are also cooler in the summer i wear them alot when i presser wash.

  7. #7DMiller2019-02-08 20:45

    I wear a 14C, can get by with a lace up D. Hard to get 14s in any form but narrow sucks a crank to find. I either use spray silicone boot treatment or on better will keep them longer used Neatsfoot LIBERALLY to seal them up as long as possible.

  8. #8John C.2019-02-08 20:55

    I'm wondering how many forgo the steel toe in the winter. I've been in below zero temps a couple of times and found that when steel toe gets cold you can never get warmed up. Most of the northern mechanics I've dealt with go with Sorel insulated boots.

  9. #9TVA2019-02-08 21:05

    Never had them, but I know people who switched from Red Wings to Keen, and lived them. John can actually visit the factory - it’s in his neck of the woods!

  10. #10RLU_tech2019-02-08 21:05

    Being from Wisconsin, this sparked my curiosity. What’s the best for the bitter cold elements? Steel toe boot with an overshoe? Insulated sorel? Hunting boot?

  11. #11TVA2019-02-08 21:07

    I’ve had once composite toe, it helps.

  12. #12DMiller2019-02-08 21:09

    Working Nuke to get thru security with boots on HAD to use Composite Toe, prefer steel for toe box size but get along with Carolina Composites.

  13. #13Tugger22019-02-08 21:21

    I hate gum boots for working ,but last winter up north working on an ice bridge in -30,-40 with slush coming up thru the ice in places these were the best . Never a day with cold feet, just a drag slogging along in clod hoppers like these. They are called Baffins

  14. #14John C.2019-02-08 21:23

    The look kind of like Ketchikan tennis shoes. They use them all over Southeast Alaska.

  15. #15Tugger22019-02-08 21:47

    If your really serious you can stick the corks { Caulks i guess} in them for super traction, But then your screwed when you jump up on the steel deck of the machine. Trade one hazard for another.

  16. #16Old Doug2019-02-08 21:56

    I wear a 11 1/2b or 12 b i can under stand your pain. I wore army hoots for years because i could find them in my size. There was a surplus store in STJ Mo were i got then . They wear like iron and fill like iron. Redwings dont always fit the best. I would love to have a pair of boots custom made. It would be great just to go any were and buy boots that fit.

  17. #17Pixie2019-02-09 04:40

    I spend a lot of time outdoors in winter. Love my Muck boots. Have several pairs. Probably need a boot drier to go with them. https://www.muckbootcompany.com/collections/men

  18. #18terex herder2019-02-09 08:47

    For you guys in Missouri (and anyone else driving I70 40 miles east of the Kansas border), Kleinschmidts in Higginsville has the best boot store I have ever encountered. They advertise 20,000 pairs, and I think that is an understatement. All paired up, out on the floor, ready to try on. No waiting for a shoe clerk to bring one pair out at a time. Until you start trying boots, you can't appreciate how much sizes change between manufactures. I can find a 10EE that is to big, and a 11D that is to small. Lace up, slip on, steel toe, cowboy boot, exotic leather, they have it all.

  19. #19grandpa2019-02-09 09:05

    If you have to spend the day out in sub- zero temps this is the only boot to have. They are ugly and clumsy but they WORK. Have another pair in your truck to put on when your back inside because heat will drive the cold right into your feet. https://www.ebay.com/i/302962189563?chn=ps

  20. #20DMiller2019-02-09 12:33

    Have my own Muck Boots and Insulated, use them religiously this time of year and when the rains are on.

  21. #21Mother Deuce2019-02-09 13:43

    Bought a pair of those in 1981 in Anchorage. Wore them last week and carry them all winter, still great boots 38 years later.

  22. #22colson042019-02-09 13:53

    Hard to beat Muck boots for winter time, wet weather work. The chore lineup is very good; mid size, tall, with or with out steel toes. For winter time, they have an arctic pair. Right now, my daily use boots is a pair of Muck Tall chore boots without steel toe. I wore them every day all the way down to -10 degrees last week and never had cold feet. During the summer I go with mid height as it helps reduce sweating. A PEET boot dryer is a necessity to dry out your sweat at the end of the day though. I throw mine on overnight, dry and toasty the next Morning. I also use Red Wings. As @DMiller said, neatsfoot oil makes a world of difference in water repellent. I have both leather with steel toe, and composite toe Red Wings. Both are nice, order the 'king toe' version of either as it gives more space under the protective cap. Good socks are also important. Merino wool is my favorite, and carry a dry pair or two with you. Taking 5 minutes to change out socks makes you feel 100% better when working in marginal conditions.

  23. #23simonsrplant2019-02-09 19:51

    Redwings to about freezing temperatures Much colder than -15celcius and I use Sorrell CSA boots. They are miserable to climb ladders and walk about in but sure keep my feet warm and dry. Wet conditions and I'm using muc boots .

  24. #24ol'stonebreaker2019-02-09 22:25

    One little trick I use with felt lined boots is a pair of cotton socks with an empty bread bag over each foot and wool socks over that. Keeps the sweat from soaking into the felt liner. Mike

  25. #25Ronsii2019-02-10 00:48

    Used to do the bread bag trick when we were kids of course back then it wasn't work so much as playing out in the snow!!

  26. #26DMiller2019-02-10 08:50

    Wool is a natural moisture wick, felt being wool attracts it so I try to avoid it unless absolutely cold out.

  27. #27Don.S2019-02-10 10:24

    I have a pair of these and a extra set of liners to change out half way through the day. I also keep a set of insulated rubber boots in my truck incase I have to stand in deep water or anything.

  28. #28DirtyFrenchy2019-02-10 11:48

    I really like Dunlops, much like the Baffin's mentioned above. Composite toe. Only downfall if they stiffen up as you near -40. We also use these things called "bama" socks. I believe it's the brand. They wick the moisture away from your feet and socks. I've also tapped heat pads lightly to the top of my foot over the sock for the real nasty days. I find it's more important to switch socks often the the boots you wear.

  29. #29kenh2019-02-10 13:59

    I have a pair of the $50 Baffins, very limited use but I am amazed at the warmth AND traction in ice/snow I would think the "upscale" ones would be awesome.