Does anyone who has “in cab” tool kit want to share their, or share some ideas for it. For now I’m thinking small 1/4 drive sockets kit and 12volt driver.
I don't have it in-cab but in a small doctor bag I keep in the compartment behind the cab. 6 in 1 screwdriver. Philips and flathead screwdrivers. Vise grips, linemans, needle nose pliers. Crescent wrench (Channellock brand by far my favorite). Allen key folding set. Electric impact screwdriver with socket and bit kit. Voltmeter. Knife. Scissors. I am sure there are some other things but that is what I grab whenever I walk up to something that is broken.
Sorry, I was unclear! I’m talking about minimal tool kit that you take with you to work inside the cab, wiring, ECM, A/C work. The one small enough to not to be hassle, and comprehensive enough to not jump in and out of cab hundred times.
I have this idea to make cigarette lighter adapter but for ground only. Many times I found my self in plastic filled cab looking for place that has a ground.
I guess it would depend on the task at hand. But for general purpose, get in and not come out til you need a part, I would take from BV . 1/4" hex bit set, sockets, cordless screwdriver (I love the dewalt gyroscopic), DVOM , knipex cobra pliers and relay tester. This would give you access to and behind nearly any panel or duct. Maybe add a small adjustable wrench for when the pliers aren't enough.
Good one on relay tester!
I got a small kit (lisle) for testing the common 4 relays. Fits nicely in a "go-bag"
Those are also good as a access points to test circuits!
What sockets kit would you guys recommend?
Actually maybe having both power and ground divided by insulator will be more useful! Wait a minute! Isn’t Powe Probe has that adapter?
I don’t have a separate kit but I use my Milwaukee m12 1/4” hex drive impact and a set of bits a lot for the screws and bolts in cab. Makes a tedious job faster. There is a low setting on it that is perfect for the fasteners to avoid stripping threads and heads. And then of course normal flush cuts for zip ties, a worklight, pickup tools for hard to reach stuff. A fan is also really nice for warmer days. Magnetic trays for all the little screws. I also have a Bluepoint 3/8 drive handle that enables you to use the 3/8 drive Allen sockets and torx sockets like a quarter drive handle and helps with in cab work
Did you really just mention powerprobe? I thought you were mad at them.
I was thinking about useing one of those deal that has a handle for carying cleaning supplys.I would rig it up so nutdrivers, screwdrivers and pliers stood up in it. But i also need some thing that can be closed up for transporting. Wright now i have a toolbag with this stuff in it its a pain diging through it. I have been wanting to make up sets of stuff to cutdown on trips to the tool box. It seams like no 2 trucks are alike its not like the old days were a mechanic could have a job to do and know exactly what wrenches worked the best on the bolts he needed to remove.
I still am! But not for creating bad tools - tools are great!!! I am mad for deceiving me!
I bought tray for $7 in Wall Mart works great! Also if you interested look in to HVAC tools, they have many different tools various sizes very useful and comfortable! I’ve got one.
Check out the tool totes that Home depot or Harbor freight carry. HF is advertising "hercules" their better brand of tool totes, but they haven't shown up in the store yet. Home depot has some nice ones too. everybody has them, those are what seems most suitable to me.
Found this at Lowes . It's a bit pricey.looks like you could get carried away with something like this.
I have a 14" husky bag that is my carry bag/in cab kit/electrical kit. I put most of this together when I was still custom harvesting. I tried to keep it small so I put it in a tractor/combine cab all day if I needed to. If I was tearing into cab panels all the time a 12v hex driver, 1/4" drive adapter, and 1/4" socket set in a bigger bag would be nice. cutting/crimping pliers ratcheting crimper for heat shrink connectors automatic wire stripper 6" adjustable pliers 6" pliers wrench 6" linesman pliers 6" needle nose 5" flush cut pliers 5 screwdrivers ratcheting bit driver 39 pc "security" bit set utility knife butane soldering iron machinist's scale tape measure multimeter 7 way RV test plug GFCI outlet tester 2 organizers full of heat shrink connectors pack of lever nuts for building wiring assorted heat shrink tubing assorted zip ties