Thinkin of gettin a set for my half ton, some 245's, just wondering if anyone else is runnin them who also runs with a fuel tank. Gotta 80 gal. Tank. I hear they wear fast with the extra weight.. just need some opinions.
Last two trucks I had came with BFG tires, got about 100,000KM on a set, but were absolute crap on icy roads. I run Hankooks, get about 80,000KM on a set, probably 40% gravel, 5% clay mud, rest pavement. I don't carry much in the back ( occasional quad or snowmobile). I've been pretty happy with them, no sidewall punctures from sticks and the noise is reasonable on pavement.
I have run a few sets of these tires on our logging pickup trucks. The 3/4 tons pretty much shred anything as we are gravel 60-70% of the time, carrying men and fuel to the bush and firewood home at night for the boys. We get about 35,000 km out of a set, which takes us from fall until hopefully the next fall: new tires for winter. The half tons get 50,000 kilometers before the tires are finished. You're in Wisconsin, but I have since had better value buying the Canadian Tire brand with road hazard warrantee. Less costly and the 14 year-old kid at the tire department doesn't give me too much grief when I bring in a dead tire for a replacement. These tires last just as long as the BFGs. John
They seem to have a love hate following. I have had them on my last 4 4x4 single wheel pickups. I get great traction awesome wear and they seem to work really well for me in wet road conditions. Maybe have been using them so long I don't know what I'm missing.
I just replaced a set on my 1/2 ton suburban. They had 5/32" on them and I had 70K miles on 'em. Mud traction was awesome as well as wet traction. Snow/ice was just "ok". With a 4x4 and a good head on your shoulders they'll be fine in the cold stuff. I think these are great tires and worth the $$...IMHO.
I am on a second set of BFG All Terrains on a 2500HD duramax. I like the BFG AT on ice, very good traction especially when above 50% tread, after that less so. Looking at the tread its easy to see why, a lot sipes and edges to grab traction. The tire is not as great in breaking trail in snow. Its much less effective in heavier mud where the tread packs and doesn't clean very well. So if your looking for a very good on road tire with marginal effectiveness off road capability with acceptable wear characteristics than the BFG AT is a good choice. As I said that as this tire wears it becomes less effective, I have been running the worn tires in the Summer and rotate the new tires on in the Winter. I have a set of Kelly TSR's on a my 3500 dually. That tire can break trail. It is flat impressive offroad. So far it wearing well with only a year on them, but every mile is loaded. Doesn't feel like as stuck to the ground as the BFG AT's on ice, but that to be expect one because of the larger voids on the TSR an some to do with the different type of vehicle.
Have had good luck with mastercraft course c/t work well in snow,ice and mud. Be sure to get the load range E in any tire you choose,they last longer if you tow or carry any cargo.
My brother had a set on his 00 dodge diesel 3/4 ton. He had about 75,000 kms on them when he sold it and they still had quite a bit of tread left on them. He has a big fifth wheel camper that he pulls and a smaller trailer that he loads up with firewood so they hadn't been worked real hard. I'd say about 1/2-3/4 of those miles were on hwy. I just put a set of Kelly Safari TSR tires on my 07 duramax last fall and so far really like them. Have got 10,000 kms on them now and they're not showing any major wear yet. They do great in the snow and pretty good in mud. Not to loud on the hwy. Ryan
Runnin BFG all terrains since 1999 on F350 4x4s. Overall best tire for my money. Get about 35,000 useful miles, excellent traction on dry gravel and dirt, pretty good on wet and dry pavement and dry snow. OK in mud and wet snow but tread pattern does seem to pack up pretty quick. Good enough in ice as well. Most important for me is puncture resistant. Six flats in twelve years, I drive 60,000 plus miles a year, occasionally over 100,000, of which 40% is off highway, packing 150 gal of fuel and misc tools most days. Have not tried any of the others recommended in this thread but I have mistakenly settled for a few sets of non BFG's, all provided decent enough traction but all performed miserably as far as wear and puncture resistance. Last set of non BFG's where completely worn out in 14,000 mi, 3 tires replaced under warranty from rock punctures. Tire store told me to get lost on the fourth one, said I was driving to fast with to much weight....maybe but non of that ever happened with BFG's.