Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bias vs radial on my 3 axle trailer?

csthompson12 ยท 2022-05-12 14:19

I have Winston 24k 3 axle trailer with singles.. Some of the tires are dry checked and need replacing. Currently they are 10 ply bias tires. Is there any reason to go to radial tires? They are 16.5 rims and they seem to offer both in this size.

Replies10
  1. #11466IH2022-05-12 15:02

    How often is the trailer used? Bias carry the load better but radials generally last longer from my experience. I personally run bias on all my trailer tires

  2. #2Old Doug2022-05-13 09:04

    If it wasnt being used alot on long trips and the bias was cheaper that is what i would use. Is it a common bolt pattern i would switch to 16s if i could.

  3. #3KSSS2022-05-13 20:46

    I would also switch to 16's.

  4. #4materthegreater2022-05-13 22:34

    17.5s would give better rated tire options

  5. #5Bumpsteer2022-05-13 22:38

    I have a 14k gvw deckover on 16.5 bias plys. The damn thing pulls like a stone boat. I've finally got enough 16" rims and the new tires will NOT be bias ply. 16.5 is a dead size, it suprises me you can get tires, let alone bias ply. Ed

  6. #6Old Doug2022-05-14 08:32

    I worked out of a tire shop for several years i dont know what the problem was if it was the tires the load or they way they were used but i saw alot of bad stuff going on with 17.5s.

  7. #7gwhammy2022-05-15 17:48

    I've been running 17.5 tires on a triple axle gooseneck for several years now. Had really good luck with them. I ran 10 ply 16's before and was always blowing tires. I have blown a few on the triple axle pintle hitch with duals but since I've quit pulling when the roads are real hot haven't had a problem.

  8. #8suladas2022-05-15 18:29

    I've never had a tire blow out, the worst I had was a good sidewall bulge assuming from a pothole. I run the cheap stock 10 plys on my triple 7k trailer. They are way cheaper to replace then the 16 ply, I can buy a new tire already on a rim for under $200. Tire shop said many times when guys step up to the 16 ply they start having bent rims instead of tire failures. 17.5s on my 25 ton tag, i've had the tag for over 4 years and never had a tire issue whatsoever, I only replaced 6/12 tires when I bought it and the others didn't look new when I got it. Run sailun's, way cheaper then name brand and have been great.

  9. #9gwhammy2022-05-16 19:34

    I feel most of my blowouts was from hot roads and maybe a junk tire or two. I used to work 50 to 90 miles from home and most were in the evening coming home loaded heavy. Same with the pintle hitch max load or a little more on hot afternoons. Just guessing it gets a lot hotter in Mo. than Canada?

  10. #10csthompson122022-05-16 22:08

    Hmm you guys are right. There is not to much available for 16.5 rims. I see you can still get 16.5 10 ply bias tires. The trailer is a year 2000, I'm surprised they were still using 16.5's then. Maybe I should start making the change over to 16" rims. I don't tow real frequently, but just drove a few hundred miles to get this tractor, and I noticed some of the tires had some bad dry checking.