Hi, New to the dirt business. I was curious if most of you bid jobs by the hour or a total job cost? For ponds, and fence clearings. Thanks, Marc
Davisland, welcome to the industry. I bid jobs both ways, depending on the client. If its the first time that I have worked for this perticular client, I usually bid a total job cost. Makes for a better initial relationship. After they become regular customer I than just usually give an hourly rate,( if they even ask at all). Been in the business for 50 years now. If I give a total job cost, it never goes over the cost i quoted unless the client has added more work than previously quoted...WORKS FOR ME.
99% of my jobs are a hard bid. i will work by the hour, usually for folks who are trying to save themselves a buck. I can stop when the job is through, or they run out of money, whichever comes first.
Thanks for the advice guys.
Welcome to the Forums Davisland: nice to see another land clearing co. up and coming....thought I was the only one there for a second. to answer your question, I usually work with farmers doing the same thing you are, and after a while I can pretty much guage by sight how long it will take me for a job. There is not too many CO's in clearing unless you happen to have to move that extra pile of rocks or something. If you have to give a verbal estimate figure high. and when the bill is less than what they were expecting everybody is happy