This was owned by a local field drainage company. Other Mi. members will probably recall it. To my knowledge it was repalced about 2 years ago with a track machine. It might not look that big all by itself.....if you ever saw it parked next to another tractor you would think otherwise. IIRC, it was powered by a KTA Cummins. Ed
Nice pics there, Bumpsteer Great Machines. I was lucky to see the two largest models (740) besides the 747, a 650/50, 525/50, 400/30, and an old KT-450, this summer. Not exactly up-to-date in the cab, but they work.
the service man used to fly out to the farms and land in the fields for service calls.
Do you know what they did with this machine?
I have had the honor of seeing one of these still working. Awesome old machines.
talk about make short work of digging trenches for an irrigation system.
I have seen plenty of Big Bud pictures, but nothing like this. Interesting to see a trencher on the back - I wonder what the creators of Big Bud would think if they seen this. Big Buds were definitely purpose built machine meant for HUGE wheat fields. As someone above stated, pretty dated tractors, but I'm sure can work all day long for you.
I've heard of them being used for, and being unbeatable at ripping hardpan in the southwest.
I can imagine so! Just think of all those horses pulling those rippers.
A local drainage contractor in our area has this exact setup. Very capable machine in the dry conditions show in this picture.
Yair . . . redneckchevy9 What exactly do you mean by dated? We are shopping for a small 4x4 and I have see this "dated" word a couple of times when reading reviews of a particular model that has been in production for ten years or and essentially unchanged . . . in fact "tired and dated" was the catch cry which to me translates as "proven and reliable". Cheers.
Big Bud tractors: Big Bud tractors started their lives in Havre, Montana... couple hundred miles from where I live. The company that made Big Bud's, Northern Manufacturing Company, actually made several models, different horse powers, transmissions, and such... my good neighbor has two Big Buds, bought used, of course... They were/are rather unique tractors, here's the rest of the stories... :cool2 http://www.williamsbigbud.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=68 http://www.vincelewis.net/bigbud.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bud_747 OCR... Lol... forgot to add a little story I read. When they first started making Bud's, the fenders were basically just half circles, made from flat stock, and it's hard to form a nice shape, without the proper metal working tools... we all know that... They did have, however, out back or somewhere... a big tree. Lol, that's how they formed the first fenders...:notworthy Hmm...?? I think I might have bent a fender or two, around a tree myself... :lmao
When I said "dated" basically what I mean is that some of the technology may not be up to date & missing some of the things that new 4X4's have. Mainly, I have heard that the cabs on some of the Big Buds were noisy & cumbersome to work some of the controls. Don't get me wrong, something being dated ain't a bad thing, my '50 IH C has been called dated to, but it works just fine for me.
Just found one for sale, I know nothing about it... https://www.bismanonline.com/525_50...0_yard_scrap/?app_track=watchListMemberCenter
I follow this farm on there YouTube channel the still farm with Big Bud tractors. https://www.youtube.com/@WelkerFarms
Got to ride in the 747 one time!! WILD machine and I LOVE it!
It would be thrilling to ride in, but - to disc a quarter section the average person would need to take out a bank loan just to put fuel in it.
Big Bud tractors were not made to use where land is measured in 1/4 sections.