I have a big cam and would like to know the specs and cpls Here is a picture of the numbers on rear drivers side of block and cylinder number 5&6 just below head. Thanks
CONFIGURATIONS AND MODEL NAMES EPA Model Name Not Available Marketing Engine Configuration # D093551BX02 Marketing Model Name NTC-FOR.365(88NT) Service Model Name NH/NT 855 Technical Engine Configuration # D093551BX02 ENGINE BUILD DETAILS Build Date 1989-02-09T00:00:00Z Build Plant CEP - COLUMBUS ENGINE PLANT CPL # 1211 Shop Order SO36949 Warranty Start Date 1989-04-26T00:00:00Z TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION DETAILS ECM Code Not Available Fuel Pump Part # 3060716 Fuel Pump Calibration 4520
Can you pot pics of both sides of the engine the oil cooler thermostat housing and fuel pump tag
CPL 1211-NTC 400 NT88 Big Cam Four. Which means the block has {lower press fit liners, thinner deck and smaller diameter main cap bolts with low flow cooling}.
Any idea why they would list Formula 365 as the marketing configuration?
You can never go by marketing configuration with Cummins. CPL is the only true info. Cummins had a tendency to throw parts and see if they stuck. For instance CPL 1193 was a BC III style engine with STC. Early heads, early after cooler from a MVT 475 rated at 450 hp built in 1995. With high flow cooling.
Yea, I just thought that was weird. I have NTC-400 in my notes about CPL 1211 That's one of the CPLs I looked at when I rebuilt my CPL 1280 since the 1280 pistons aren't available anymore
A interesting CPL is the early BCI-CPL 393. The early big cams used the same head bolts as a small cam, starting in mid 1978 Cummins changed the block to use a 1" longer head bolt to move the deck stress lower in the block. CPL 393 was a NTC 400 with 14.5-1 compression. used the same higher compression pistons as a 350, injector timing was 65 nominal. It used a single entry turbo. All later 400's used 14 to 1 compression, timed at 70 nominal. 393 was a 1979 era engine. Cummins built so many engines with strange CPL's. Installing a 3021596 off set cam key and retiming a 393 to 70 the engine runs just fine with 14.5 pistons. * The myths about Cummins are endless, the one main fact that Cummins threw parts in all different directions to see what stuck is true.
The engines that used the small cam head bolts had a deck thickness of .750" when they went to the longer bolts the deck thickness was increased to 1"
Starting with The NT88 BC 4 the block had a thinner deck. Everything preceding was 1" at the same time dropped the size of main bolts.
1211 and 1185 used 15.5:1 pistons. All the 444s that I researched used 15:1 but like I said, the 1280/1256 pistons aren't available anymore I'm not sure what you mean with the timing. I timed my engine to -.135. Timing code HS
Same thing early BC's were timed at 70, STC and up were timed 101 right up to 135 nominal. Small cams averaged 36 nominal but ran well at 39 to 40. * 1280 takes a 3095069 piston only available in Tri-Tech Dual Ni 3 ring. Not available in Dual or Single Ni 4 ring piston. I looked there are some available, 15:1 compression. Some without pin.