Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Big cylinder bench

Welder Dave · 2022-11-07 03:13

The hydraulic shop I generally go to apparently has the largest cylinder bench in N. America to deal with the largest cylinders used on the biggest excavators in the oil sands. I wasn't sure just how big it is but just read it is capable of 125,000 ft./lbs. That would have to be one huge cylinder! I wonder what size of nut takes 125,000 ft./lbs.?

Replies19
  1. #1DDoug2022-11-07 06:07

    I don't believe you without pix.....

  2. #2Junkyard2022-11-07 06:46

    Ummmm deez nuts? Lol. Seriously that’s some massive torque. I’m with Doug, pics or it didn’t happen lol.

  3. #3Nige2022-11-07 07:50

    The largest of Cat's cylinder benches maxes out at 60,000 ft lbs, and that will do the biggest shovel cylinders around AFAIK. More than double that seems somewhat hard to believe.

  4. #4Vetech632022-11-07 07:53

    Let's play "Price is Right" on that thing. I'm going with 275K US

  5. #5pumkinhead2022-11-07 07:57

    $89,417.10

  6. #6pumkinhead2022-11-07 07:59

    $103,267.22 for the extended length

  7. #7Mobiltech2022-11-07 08:13

    It wouldn’t be hard to generate that kind of torque with a bench that uses a hydraulic ram to break the nut loose. An 8 inch diameter ram running at 2500 psi with a one foot torque arm would get it done.

  8. #8joe--h2022-11-07 10:46

    6 month warranty? Guess quality isn't job one at Cat. Joe H

  9. #9kjkoch2023-02-24 19:14

    Dave is right. Here is one. www.ms-d.com

  10. #1063 caveman2023-02-25 05:10

    I've seen this bench in action, very sexy!

  11. #11DDoug2023-04-21 21:15

    Buy "Previously Owned": Used MSD-D-30 Machinery Service And Design Hydraulic Cylinder Center For Sale Used Machinery Service And Design Hydraulic Cylinder Center For Sale hgrinc.com

  12. #12Acoals2023-04-21 22:15

    But this "Nut Buster" maxes at 62,000 ft lb . . . Nut Buster® Tool | Hydraulic Cylinder Piston Nut Removal Nut Buster® by Machinery Service & Design is a hydraulic torque wrench used to remove or install piston nuts & cylinder heads. We also offer a Nut Runner tool. www.ms-d.com

  13. #13Coaldust2023-04-22 00:40

    I’ve always wondered what happened to these cylinder benches from the Hawaiian Commercial & Sugar Company Auction in 2017 at Kahului Maui. Global Partners ran the auction. I was on the Island working on a fuel project, but didn’t get to attend.

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-04-22 01:30

    If you scroll way down on Sterling Hydraulics Facebook page it shows a pic. of their biggest cylinder bench. It seems they may have had the cylinder benches custom designed. From the post on Facebook: No cylinder is too big; with 3 fully engineered and CSA compliant hydraulic cylinder servicers our "state of the art" facility allows us to repair, service or overhaul small, medium and the largest cylinders that can be found in the mining business... We have the LARGEST CYLINDER SERVICING BENCH/CAPABILITIES in North America, which is also supported with a fully equipped machine shop. The cylinder shop is also serviced by a bridge crane with 20 ton lifting capacity. Here's a pics. of 1 of their benches but it's not the biggest one. The biggest 1 is white in colour and longer. Just by the pic. of the 1 below it is considerably bigger than the other ones shown in this thread. Bing Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you. www.bing.com

  15. #15Welder Dave2023-04-22 01:44

    Please delete this and the post below. Don't know why they come up.

  16. #16Tony Wells2023-04-22 02:38

    In the oilfield, service shops use a similar apparatus to assemble/dissemble tools for downhole work. Some of the larger diameter tools do indeed require torque values in that range. On the rig itself, using chains, tongs and cylinders, winches, etc, tool joints are made and broken regularly. The service apparatus are referred to as "breakout units". It's certainly conceivable that something similar could be built for hydraulic cylinder use, but I would agree that it's hard to believe there is a standard cylinder that would require it. That's a different ballgame compared to oil tools.

  17. #17Welder Dave2023-04-22 03:58

    They may never need that much torque but it's nice to have it available. They got into doing cylinders specifically to work on the largest hydraulic shovels in the world at the Alberta oilsands. They recruited the best cylinder guy in the business to run the cylinder division. They have great customer service whether you're a big outfit or just need an occasional hose made up. They gave me a repair sleeve for a flare fitting that had a slight leak. I think they normally cost $5 or $6 each. Always very reasonable for hoses too. It's a bonus their shop is 10 minutes from where I live.

  18. #18JD955SC2023-04-22 07:40

    Well that’s impressive. I bet dealing with the seals and getting the head of the cylinder back on the rod after service is a real, well I can’t say it here, of a job lol

  19. #19skyking12023-04-22 09:50

    When I worked on the water, we pulled 7 cylinders off the Coleman ferry dock #1 in Seattle for scheduled service, and sent/took them to this outfit. I wonder what they have? https://www.servicehydraulics.com/repair.html The largest were the pair that lifted and lowered the passenger way, at 35,000 pounds or so.