Hey guys, my FIL told me about a problem he's having with his Kubota (of some variety) mower that starts shaking and running very rough after warming up. He said usually after 15 minutes or so, but didn't give me a lot of info other than he's changed his fuel filters out on it. I know this isn't considered heavy equipment but you guys know stuff and figured someone may know what's up. I don't really have any info on what the mower is other than Kubota. I can try to get more info from him if needed, but I'm hoping there's only a couple things that may cause such an issue.
Have him check for a fuel primer bulb in the fuel line. Those have check valves in the ends that can get clogged up. Also check for fuel cap ventilation.
Cool, thanks! He has a 2nd mower that is the exact same model, so switching some parts around could be easy (like a fuel cap). I'm also asking him for more details.
Is it a diesel? is it smoking more when it's running rough? and what color, dark, white?
It would be a big help if you can get the model engine in it. Kubota makes equipment with both gas and diesel engines, we can narrow things down with this information.
Yeah, I figured, Steve. I've asked some additional questions he may or may not get back to me on. I'll probably have to give him a call.
Alright! He said it's a Kubota D1005 3cyl. Diesel, model Bx2660. He said no smoke at all and she starts up well.
No smoke, no fuel. simple. Take a look for a banjo bolt on the fuel inlet to the transfer pump, I don't know if they're on Kubotas, but the other Japanese companies love them. Look it up if you don't know the wonder that is a banjo bolt screen. Actually running rough sounds more like sucking air, so a leaky bit of rubber somewhere? or a plugged up tank inlet?
Thanks Delmer, I'll suggest these options!
Lots of good suggestions on fuel issues here, but you might also check some other things. Broken engine mounts, bad spindle bearings on the mower deck, and the PTO clutch.