Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Big Nut

FEEDINGGROUNDS ยท 2015-03-04 09:18

Had a hydro cylinder retubed for my 315 cat it is the bucket curl cylinder. The nut came loose and caused problems I posted about last fall. Well I need to tighten the 80 mm nut on the end of the rod to a very very high torque value. Should I take it to a dealer for tightening? use a big pipe wrench and cheater pipe and tack weld? or other methods I am unaware of? Help...Dan, "the golf course mechanic that bit off more that he can chew"

Replies5
  1. #17072015-03-04 09:54

    To get it done properly you should take it to a professional. Have you installed new packings ? You could take a gamble and Try using a cheater or tack weld but chances are it will come apart sooner or later.

  2. #2FEEDINGGROUNDS2015-03-04 10:02

    Yes new packings as old nut loosened and came apart generating metal pieces causing lots of gouges in tube.

  3. #37072015-03-04 10:21

    Hmm...im assuming the piston and rod end threads are okay? Either way it can be tightened but the amount of torque required makes it very unsafe if something were to come loose. Best bet would be a hydraulic shop. If you tightnen it yourself you risk it coming apart again and cost you another tube...you should also be looking for where those "gouges" ended up in the hydraulics...

  4. #4FEEDINGGROUNDS2015-03-04 10:36

    707 You are correct, we had hyro symptoms first due to a stuck valve, stuck with a piece of the nut that folks on here helped me figure out. Plan on a flush to remove all I can. Was going to install cylinder but leave lines going into a barrel then work controls to flush fluid and I hope particles out. Just got 5- 5 gallon pails to use for flushing then new filters. The piston and rod end have been repaired with the retube job, the machinist did not have the means to torque the nut.

  5. #57072015-03-04 11:27

    So your best bet is to take it to a facility that can torque that nut correctly. Its going to be pennies compared to the cost of redoing all of this.