Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 312 vs 315

G&GSiteservice · 2015-03-03 22:00

I have an 04 315cl Do to some mechanical issues i may consider trading it on a new machine My question is the deal brought to my attention the option of a 312 its a big price difference 100k vs 150k I do mostly land clearing and house demos. Will the 312 have the balls the 315 does or 316 which took it's place!

Replies26
  1. #1CRAFT2015-03-04 00:41

    G&G Welcome to HEF ! …. In our part of the country a 315 is an "In the Middle Machine" ….. it's not classed as a large hoe like a 320 … but it's also not a compact smaller hoe like a 312 ….. I've owned a 312 for 18 yrs now and love the abilities the machine has …. There is Not Too Much I can't do, we do everything from Logging road building to Land clearing, Reclamation, Mounding, ROW's and Every aspect of Residential work … from foundations, septic systems, Driveways, site prepping to Landshaping …. We are currently dealing with a House Demo resulting from a home fire, including removing the 8' conc fully below grade foundation … this is not the first one this machine has done either ! …… But it is a '94 "A" model with the standard shorter undercarriage, c/w longer stick and boom and fully cab protected ROPS/FOPS Guarded, catwalks and a Hyd Thumb & QC ….. They have come a long long way since then …… Your needs are what is going to dictate the size you have to justify getting …. I have used a similar equipped 315CL and found it was not much better than a 312, it was heavier, didn't really reach that much further (maybe 2') and was much slower to the 312 as well …. it was a bit more flat footed but also required a larger system to move from site to site (lowbedding) ….. Then there is my 320CLRR ….. That is one sweet machine with a VERY NOTICEABLE power increase, more lifting abilities, Thumb, Guarding, 32" pads, Super Stable @ 55,000 lbs with the mega benefits of Reduced radius swing …. shorter than the 315CL ….. the list goes on and on ….. BUT it uses almost double the fuel/hr than the 312's 10L/hr ….. which the 315 was not a fuel mizer either (closer to the 320's 18-20L/hr) When I replace the 312, it WILL be with the 314DLRR blade runner …. compare the specs you'll see that it has all the benefits of the 312 + the Reduced Zero Swing Radius, more refined hydraulics and very fast too …. easy to mob/de-mob and it's in the same class as the 315 (blue book hrly rates) with 14 metric tonnes vs 15 for the 315 ….. Again YOU Will be the one that has to make the final decision ….. if you are considering a new one get your dealer to let you test ride one for a day or 2 ….. if you are doing only as you described I would jump up to the 320DLRR Good luck ….. cheers …..

  2. #2lumberjack2015-03-04 01:28

    Where can you buy a new 312 for $100k??

  3. #3G&GSiteservice2015-03-04 10:14

    Not brand new its a 12

  4. #4G&GSiteservice2015-03-04 12:48

    The 320 is just alittle 2 big for tansport I could do it but would need a permit.I dont usually clear more then 15 acres at a time and her in SW fl its mostly pine. Just want to see if anyone has run both machines

  5. #5CRAFT2015-03-04 15:43

    Just My Opinion, But …. I think the best Bang for the Buck is the 312 after having used the 315 and owning the 312 & 320CLRR ….. in your part of the world, wouldn't you have to permit for the 315 as well ???

  6. #6G&GSiteservice2015-03-04 15:51

    with the 315cl yes it sticks out just enough to need one. I have never had an issue but I should have one

  7. #7CRAFT2015-03-04 20:59

    Are you saying it's the width you are having to permit for and Not the weight ??? …… From others, I was under the impression it was only the weight that was a problem to require an oversize/weight permit …. We can go up to 10' wide with a CDL & appropriate Haul vehicle …. we used to have to have a term permit (at no cost) just a paper work thing … My 312 is 9'-6" wide with the 28" pads

  8. #8G&GSiteservice2015-03-06 09:51

    the weight im fine with its the width

  9. #9CM19952015-03-06 20:38

    Here in Alabama a 315's width is just inside the requirement to have an over wide permit, weight's not an issue. 320 size machine needs an over wide permit, weight on a lowboy isn't an issue either. Those are the reasons I like the 315, bigger than a 312 but still easy to move as it's just under the requirements. Also like the 314, when times come to add another exc. it will probably be a 314 as I like the zero tail.

  10. #10Fastdirt2015-03-06 23:40

    I follow the 312, 314, and 315 pretty close. Those are the only three machines I target and follow every time a new series comes out. Comparing the 315 to a 312, they are the exact same width. When both are equipped with 24" shoes they are both legal transport width at 8'6". When equipped with 28" shoes they both measure out at 8'10". Just over the legal transport limit here. I have an 04 312CL that used to have 28" shoes before going to 24" rubber shoes and it would overhang 2" on both sides of the tag/lowboy trailer. It really doesn't look over width visually but does require a permit here. I hauled mine for two years at 8'10" and never had to face the consequences. I was happy to get it to legal width with 24" shoes for legal purposes. I can't tell the difference in the seat but there is obviously a difference. The 315 "L" has a 13' long undercarriage compared to the 312 "L" at 12'4". Comparing the "L" and long stick version of the 312 vs. 315. The 315 will reach 2' more at ground level (18'3" vs. 20'3") and lift capacity at full reach is 4,050 lbs vs. 6,800 lbs. The 312 will max out at 18,700 lbs. and the 315 at 23,650 lbs. At ground level and 15' out it's 10,900 lbs vs. 15,600 lbs. That could be quite the difference when removing stumps or setting a box but the bucket size can be very similar and moving dirt would be close. The 312 and the 315 share the same engine along with the 314. They now have the Cat 3.4 acert with a 22hp difference between the 312 and the 315. Weight difference with 28" shoes is 30,250 to 38,647. The blade will ad 2,000 lbs. to the 312. I know when clearing bigger is better. Especially stump removal. Doing house demo work the 312 is fine in my opinion. The 312 is a great machine that will go two days on a tank of fuel. The 312 has a quick swing speed, more than a 315 and even the 314. Swing speed is big to me. It seems the close swing radius machines swing slower than standard body machines. If I could have a 315 I would, but it's too heavy for me with too much swing for me. That extra 2' of reach with a 315 would be great but would pump the ground out a lot more than a 312 when sitting on a less than perfect shear cut. The 314 has the same stick, boom, pins, bushings, buckets, etc. as the 312. I bought a used bucket today from the Cat dealer and the rep did a lot of leg work to confirm the buckets are the same from the 314 to the 312. I like the 314 a lot but I'm only attracted to it's smaller swing. The 314 is too tight for an 8 hour day for me. When exiting a 314 you will squeeze in between the controls. The seat will not slide back like an old day cab truck. Great for roadwork or specialty work. They are priced very high too. The 312 has good swing clearance. For the $50,000 difference you mentioned I'd choose the 312 but going from a 315 to a 312 would be hard to swallow. I was considering trading the 312 in this week for a 312E due to a $12,000 quote to line bore and replace and repair all the bucket linkage and pins. I've got the repair cost way down and am spreading it out. Yes the 312 has "balls". It doesn't wimp out on anything. I've decided to run it another year because it performs great and I was just getting frustrated with the current repair cost and having thoughts of another repair hit me in the future but this current repair is due to letting a less than professional mechanic fit a 160 bucket to the stick almost three years ago. No payment is nice but either way I guess you're going to pay a note or repairs it seems.

  11. #11Dickjr.2015-03-06 23:59

    I've ran a 312 , 315 , 320 along with Deere , Komatsu and Case sumitomo. I don't understand why they make so many machines so close in weight and hp. To me if a 312 won't do it , a 315 probably won't either. 312 to a 320 is a difference but then you have a 324 , 325, 329 and 330 . Either go 320 or 330. I will never understand why Cat makes a D6 K N T I know that's a different thread altogether but is it a small 6 medium 6 or large 6. But what do I know all I do is watch it snow.

  12. #12CM19952015-03-07 06:40

    The D and E cabs on the 314's and 321's are much better than the C models. More room and seat adjustments. Rented a 303.5 last month, now that cab is cramped.

  13. #13Fastdirt2015-03-07 07:36

    Maybe I'm too fat lol.

  14. #14pafarmer2015-03-07 07:36

    I have owned many CAT track hoes over the years. The 312 at 100K is a good price. The 315 is much more machine in terms of power, size, cabin comfort, easy to move etc... Land clearing is about speed. Get in, get out and move to the next job. The bigger the machine , the faster you can do that ! We bought a brand new 316 last fall and love the machine... You didn't give us much information, but based on the little detail you did give, hands down, the 315 is a great pick !

  15. #15G&GSiteservice2015-03-07 15:25

    well im looking at about 10k in repairs on the main hydro pump so just looking into other stuff... the deal told me they can do a 316 2012 with 1100 hrs on it for 150k

  16. #16CM19952015-03-07 21:00

    Nah, you ain't fat. Spent 1/2 the day in the 321DL today. Now it's a compact cab but much better than the compact cabs on the C's. I don't feel cramped after running it all day. I'm 6-1.

  17. #17Fastdirt2015-03-08 23:21

    Well dang G&G, heck with the 312 and 315 if a 316 has jumped into the equation. I hate that you have a $10,000 repair on the 315. Let us know what happens with your 315 and hopefully you'll share a pic of the new Cat if you go that route. CM, your 321 looks a bit like the 314 I was sitting in. I always wanted a 314 till sitting in one. I sat in a spin ace for years and I guess you get used to it. I wonder if you're 321 has the same cab as the 314. I wouldn't think so but I swear the 311c,312c,315c,325c,330c, and 345c all share the same cab. I know the windows are the same part numbers. The 311 and 312 look funny because the cab kind of dwarfs the body. I do love the 312 cab being over 6' tall too. At least you don't have to turn around all the time looking for swing clearance. Now sitting in the E models there is no use turning around because you can't see a thing. Big sight difference I happen to like the looks of the fat Cat.

  18. #18CM19952015-03-09 20:21

    FD, don't know about the E series zero swing cabs but it looks the same as the D's. The compact cabs have no where near the room a regular E cab has. The 316E we had as a loaner was like sitting in a hotel room! I guess it's like anything, you get used to it. The cab on the 321D doesn't bother me and is bigger than the 321C. They added room to the back of the cab and put the outside air A/C filter on the side of the cab. The seat and controls have more movement fore and aft. The reason I chose the 321DL this time around was to get a newer used machine and stay away from Tier IV engines. I really wanted a 320DLRR but couldn't find one in the condition and price I was looking for. Considered a new 320ELRR but price and emissions killed that deal. The 321DL fit the bill at the time and the price was good. The compromise was the cab but it's not that big of an issue for me. I need a 320 sized hoe for production and lifting heavy pre-cast structures. The downside is the hassle of mobilization, however I hire that out so it's just a number in a bid.

  19. #19G&GSiteservice2015-03-09 23:13

    the 312 price tag is just alittle out of my range at the monemt it all depends on what they are willing to give me for my 315 with 2700 hrs

  20. #20G&GSiteservice2015-03-09 23:23
  21. #21CM19952015-03-09 23:59

    With only 2700 hours on the clock, why is the main hydro pump going out?

  22. #22CRAFT2015-03-10 00:39

    I was just thinking the same thing … CM …… ???….. That machine of yours, G&G …. it has the cab guarding, a progressive link thumb … all the goodies …. Why not fix the Pump …. it's not the end of the world to fix it …. Is It ??? 2700 hrs is barely broke in ……

  23. #23G&GSiteservice2015-03-10 16:55

    Thats why its in the shop as we speak. I have blown the seal twice so they are looking at it now and leaning towards that pump being bad

  24. #24G&GSiteservice2015-04-17 21:44

    Ok so alittle update Got my pump checked out and it was fine according to Kelly tractor.... But even at 3000 hrs my 315cl feels sluggish and under powered. But they told me everything was fine. Anyways I lined up so demos... 2012 312 was very fast nice tight machine but just didn't have the power.. The blade was awesome though! Price was good but they weren't going to give me anything at all for my 315 so i passed. Next was a 2014 316 with 2000hrs very very nice fast strong and well new but at 155k was just out of reach... next is the 2014 Volvo 160 dl... Im in love with this machine strong fast 900hrs price is 130k but it will need a hydraulic thumb and a cage to protect the cab... I will know Monday what they will give me on a trade

  25. #25PNECAT2015-05-06 22:22

    315

  26. #26blowerman2015-05-06 22:41

    Boys, I owned a volvo 160 up until last year and loved it. Sipped fuel, strong and fast. Price wise cat didn't corn close and I love the volvo dealer.. While I sold my hoes, to help the cause, I still own and run volvo wheel loaders. You won't regret it