Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Big Skid Steer

bull ยท 2011-12-18 17:23

Looking for a large skid steer (around 100 HP). Looking at the big Gehl (are they still made by Takeuchi?). Heard the Cats have some issues (track?). But not tied to any brand. Reliability and Value are key. Any advice/input/complaints/likes/dislikes would be very much appreciated. Will be doing a little of everything, but mostly pushing trees and dirt(heavy). Does a compact loader (articulated) have a lot of advantages over the skid (except turning)? On another topic, while all parts are very expensive (relatively speaking), I have heard Bobcat and Komatsu are out of this world as far as parts pricing. Any truth to this? Thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1dave esterns2011-12-19 00:49

    i never thought bobcat parts were any more expensive than anyone elses. takeuchi does not make the big gehl skid steers with wheels. not everyone makes giant skid steers. the bobcat 870 is big. deere has a big one i think. gehl has the 7810 or whatever. case, jcb, new holland, dont make giant skid steers. an articulated loader is an interesting idea.

  2. #2Skid Steer Rob2011-12-21 23:55

    I have a long term customer wanting to retire. He has a Gehl 7810 for sale in Texas. Let me know if you are interested and I will email you with his contact information. [email protected]

  3. #3Haddy2011-12-22 03:58

    Don't do it . We got a Mustang 2109 , same as 7810 , only just done 2000 hours and nothing but trouble

  4. #4KSSS2011-12-22 15:22

    It seems like the feedback you hear on the big Gehl/Mustangs is love or hate. Not sure if its a quality control thing or just the different applications. I would give up a little ROC and go with something a little more well recieved. I would consider Gehls V3300 I think it is before the 7810 if I wanted to go with Gehl. Otherwise the Large CASE/CAT/Deere (300 series) would be more dependable and still give you a ROC in mid3K with counterweights.

  5. #5CRAFT2011-12-26 12:02

    bull ........ What are you wanting or planing to do ??? ...... is it lift or the push or hyd flow or all of the above that you're after ???? Go with the machine that has the best service dealer in your area is my thoughts ....... they can all be good or crap ......

  6. #6Reel hip2011-12-27 17:54

    I had plenty of good luck with my bobcat 963. 105 hp well over 3,000 lbs of lift. Parts do not seem any more expensive than other equipment.But I do agree with CRAFT buy where a dealer is close by.

  7. #7Seabass2012-01-02 19:54

    I'm sure you know what your need but have your considered a small dozer if that would work for you? As you noted doing heavy dirt pushing and tree removal that is. Good luck

  8. #8CM19952012-01-02 20:11

    Depends on your local dealer. Here in Central Alabama, Bobcat parts are ridiculously expensive compared to other brands. For instance, I can get Bobcat parts shipped next day from Atlanta for less, sometimes considerably less, than buying local - shipping included.:cool2 It just depends on how much your local dealer marks parts up. In my area, Cat has the most reasonably price parts with Bobcat on the other end of the spectrum with borderline insane prices on certain parts. Bull, where in Alabama are you located?

  9. #9Steve Frazier2012-01-02 22:58

    Another consideration is parts availability. Everything breaks down, how fast can your dealer get you back up running? Cat's part distribution is hard to beat in my area, parts are guaranteed delivered to the dealer overnight by their own trucks. There's value in that service that many don't give any thought to.

  10. #10tomcat78102012-01-03 15:14

    I know a guy who runs a Takeuchi tl140, I don't know how big you want but that's been a great machine. Prolly the most powerfull machine I have ever ran. 2 speed and 90 hp makes that machine work circles around any other machine I used.