What is the best way to connect a hydraulic hose that is under pressure? When I turn the bobcat off, there is still (often) enough pressure in the hose that I can't easily connect my equipment hose. I end up struggling for a few minutes. My bobcat (763) doesn't have a hydraulic release button like some of the newer ones do. I've been told to unscrew the hydraulic coupling nut a 1/2 turn, but that seems like it could introduce more problems in the future (did I tighten it, did I get dirt in it, etc). Anyone have a special trick for releasing the pressure in the hose?
Try turning the key back on, while not starting the machine. Run thru all the safety features that you would normally do when you go to run the machine. Cycle through all the controls, including your aux controls, this should take the pressure out of your system.
If you don't have the hyd release option like on the newer Bobcats you just have to fight with it. I used to loosen a hose fitting to release the pressure on my old 853. Of course, that makes a mess. I toyed with the idea of a crossover line with a valve but I bought a S205 instead. I think Skidsteer Solutions sells a kit to upgrade the older machines with the new hyd release option.
On some of the older machines, you turn the key backwards to release hydraulic pressure. Sometimes helps, but not always.
Cycleing valves The cycleing the valves trick useually works pretty good on any hydraulic system.
:usajparr.........if you shut down the system and quickly move ur levers it usally dumps any pressure...just a thought:usa
Interesting suggestions. i'm going to give some of them a try. I will report back.
Ha! Thanks MRRPM. I figured if the key trick worked, then it would be in the manual. It took a bit of searching my PDF manual (I swear I read it cover to cover when I got it), but I found it. "With the engine running, turn the key switch quickly to the left (counterclockwise) past the OFF position. Hold key for at least five seconds after the engine comes to a complete stop. This relieves pressure that can be trapped in the auxiliary circuit which would make it difficult to engage quick couplers from an attachment." Maybe I should change my name to RTFM(again).
Another thing to do afterwards is to connect the lines of your attachment together so any thermal pressure build up will be equal. Makes it easier to connect back up the the machine at a later date.
I only seem to have issues with my 4in1 being hard to remove and replace at times. Now I just crack open the clam jaw a little and it helps, I don't seem to have any issue with any of my other attachments that run on Aux hydraulics though. Connecting the work tool hydraulic lines together is a pain if I do it first thing in the morning and then want to reconnect in the heat of the day. Pressure build up due to expanding oil on a hot day makes them hard to uncouple, I always have a pair of spanners and a rag for when it all turns to poo.