Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Big Swivel – I need expert Opinion

Zip ยท 2012-10-15 18:45

Hi Guys, The other Day I found at the Scrapyard this huge bout 50lbs heavy quality Swivel which to my mind had to come from a Crane. This Swivel has a Grease nippel and no part of the Iron measures less then 36milimeter diameter. I would like to use this swivel on my Saltwater mooring to hold my 18ton Boat securely even in heavy weather for years to come. I have two mooring Chains coming up to my Buoy, one is 5/8 and the other is 3/4. all anchored by 6 onethousand lbs. concrete blocks. The Swivel was painted and I put also antifouling paint on. Prior to my painting I looked for markings but did not find any. Does anybody have an educated guess for how much weight this Swivel could be rated. Thanks in advance for all replys.------------Zip

Replies2
  1. #1shipman2012-10-16 12:55

    Hey Zip does it look like one of these.... http://www.gunnebojohnson.com/johnson-block-products/swivels/

  2. #2Zip2012-10-17 14:31

    Hey Shipman, Thanks for the reply. Sorry but the Swivel I have looks quite diferent. I try to describe it a bit better. The center pice is a square Block of about 4 inch by 4inch by 4 inch. This Block has on the left and on the right side each a big pin about 1.5 inches thick. A hefty 1.5 inch Clevise like bow is bent over these two Pins so it allows the clevis to arc over the Block. The bottom pice is a big Eye with about 1.5 inch opening and oposite side is a big Pin which swivels in the square Block. Hope this description makes sense. I will take a picture of this thing when I get next few days onto the Boat. Thanks--------Zip.