What's the biggest project you've completed with a CTL? My cousin works for an excavator and said they recently dug two, walkout basements using a Cat 299. I'm getting ready to dig a basement, I have a backhoe, and a couple smaller, bobcat skidsteers. I wouldn't dream of digging a basement with the bobcats, but wondered if I could move dirt faster with a rental 299 or similar. Combination of backhoe and CTL might be enough to keep me from renting a dozer. Thoughts? And no, I'm not hiring this job out. I'm capable of doing the work. I'm just looking at it from all angles before I break ground Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
We did a house pad in 2013 with a CTL. 2k yards cut and stock piled, 8k yards of fill brought in, 1k of the stockpiled cut loaded and hauled out, and the other 1k yards were spread on site.
I built my first "for hire" pond with a tank tl250 and a John Deere 8875 skid with grouser tracks. It was about a half acre and 12' deep in front of the dam. Took about two weeks but got the job done. That said a ctl can't begin to keep up with a full size track loader. I'd dig that same pond start to finish in days instead of weeks. Good luck John
Hogg out with the back hoe & off bear with the skid loader . You got the equipment to do the job . My late uncle used to dig water lines & basements by hand with a grubbing hoe & hand shovel back in the 1940's . Had " Pop eye" arms from all the digging & twisting . Dad & I are thankful he only had hand tool's as if Uncle Prather had access to diesel burning yellow iron there would not be a God Damn tree standing on the place . LOL !
That's great. I was called crazy when I hand dug a 48" deep trench, 80 ft from my house to my wood boiler. I didn't have any equipment then, but I did have good hand tools. I was thinking about using backhoe, skidsteer and then getting a 5 yard dump truck to move the spoils farther around the property Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
With a backhoe and a couple of small skids, why would you rent anything? Quit typing and get to digging!
Waiting on wheat harvest at the moment. Then final permitting. I'm probably 7-14 days from breaking ground. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
You can do it fine with your equipment, I've found when your working for yourself there is hardly ever a reason to not run what you have.
Backhoe and a few small skids is plenty to get this job done. Don't waste the time or money on something else, slowly back away from the keyboard and get going with what equipment you have...good luck as well.
well, wheat is being harvested today. We will stake out build site tomorrow afternoon, and once approved by planning and zoning I'll start the dig, with what I've already got. My cousin volunteered today to come run a skid and haul spoils while I dig with the backhoe. I think that should be plenty of horsepower to get the job done for what I need. The driveway might take a bit longer (12 ft wide x 500 ft), but not impossible. Just depends on how much top soil I have to scrape out.
Basement is dug and footings were poured today. Walls get poured tomorrow. Took about 60 man hours to layout and excavate 32 x 72 foundation plus the 3 ft of over dig for wall guys. Also stripped the top soil off the driveway. One stupid busy weekend for me Got 2 inches of rain Saturday morning that delayed us about 24 hours, but we still got the job done using only the equipment we already owned. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
That is the best way to make money on jobs. Good work.