Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Biggest skid steers: upper limit in sight?

CEwriter ยท 2010-10-25 14:23

Curt Bennink talks to manufacturers about the pros and cons when you're considering an-over-3,000-lb skid steer. Some good discussion of the relative advantages and disadvantages of compact wheel loaders compared to the biggest skids, too. Why wheel loaders are so much more expensive, and the likelihood of skid steers growing beyond 3,200 lbs rated operating capacity are part of this story. Super Size Your Skid Steer

Replies11
  1. #1Deeretime2010-10-25 21:31

    I want to see a 150Hp machine to replace my 655!

  2. #2laketreefarm2010-10-26 16:33

    wheel loader price vs big skid steer price I was just quoted prices on Terex's biggest ASV PT 100 and their TL 65 wheel loader and there was less than 10K between the two prices. I also got quotes on a Takeuchi TL 250 and a Takeuchi TW 65 and they were within 5K between prices. So the line between skid/track loaders and wheeled loaders is almost equal. Given the longer durability, lot's less ground disturbance, greater travel speeds, operator comfort and significantly greater lift ability of a wheel loader it seems like a hands down decision towards wheel loaders. However adding in overall compactness in tight operating conditions and it's ability to handle muddier ground conditions the skid/track loaders have the edge in rougher site and grading condtions. Ideally I'd want access to both and we're considering just that as we upgrade some of our machines to take advantage of the TARP 100% tax deduction that expires next year. Machine dealers are desperate to sell new equipment right now, so prices are 20-30% below list and the 100% tax deduction make the deal all the sweeter.

  3. #3245dlc2010-10-26 16:59

    How come there isn't more mention of compact track loaders? I think these machines have revolutionized the skid-steer world with they're incredibly high flotation and higher traction than any wheel machine.

  4. #4laketreefarm2010-10-26 17:18

    Compact track loaders Actually both the Terex PT-100 and the Takeuchi TL 250 are track machines. I agree that standard skids are inferior to skid/track machines. However the specs for both skid and track machines and their uses are almost identical. I should have mentioned that. Thanks for the comment.

  5. #5dave esterns2010-10-26 22:17

    thats interesting that you ask what the upper limit on a skid steer is. i dont remember what the machine was called, but melroe (bobcat) made a few different MASSIVE skid steers that replaced large earth moving equipment and was used in mining. i dont know what they weighed but i would guess 100 tons. i found a video about them. http://six-wheeler.com/M880.html

  6. #6245dlc2010-10-26 23:05

    Yeah but that classifies as a wheel dozer even if it does skid-steer. I wonder what ever happened to that concept it's pretty neat. However that same page you posted had the six wheel skid steer loader which had a pretty good lifting capacity. http://six-wheeler.com/M8860.html

  7. #7Dwan Hall2010-10-26 23:17

    I don't know who has the biggest but Bobcat made a few larger ones then are on the market now. the 974 and 975 had an operating capacity of 5700 tipping at 7400 lbs. weighing in at just over 12,000lb then for a few years they had a 980, Cummings powered with working capacity at 4000 lb.

  8. #8laketreefarm2010-10-27 19:37

    Biggest skid steer Wow Dave that's am awesome video of the Melroe M-880. Monster machine in fact. Wonder how long ago that was and how many they made? I'd guess it would also have great application in a landfill.

  9. #9Bumpsteer2010-10-27 22:35

    Many moons ago I had the chance to play with a 980 at the Bobcat dealer. What a monster of a machine that was. Getting back into my old 643 was a humbling experience. Ed

  10. #10stuvecorp2010-11-01 02:21

    I think the current models are about at the limit with the Gehl/Mustang monster actually being to big for most. My 440 Case with VTS which comes in almost 80" wide and gets hard enough to get around on some projects. The other part I'm sure is the price starts to get too much for 'just' a skidsteer. Interesting topic though.

  11. #11dynahoescott2010-11-04 23:39

    If you think about it, modern track loaders such as 953 963 and 973d`s are just really big heavy duty skid steers . which makes me wonder why steel bottoms for skid steers havent caught on yet?