Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

help fire

positrack ยท 2010-10-23 10:24

hot

Replies28
  1. #1positrack2010-10-23 10:30

    more hot hot hot

  2. #2digger242j2010-10-23 10:46

    Well, at least you had the presence of mind to grab the camera, instead of some stupid fire extinguisher.

  3. #3positrack2010-10-23 10:58

    this is after six extinguishers so it was a photo a cup o t an a fag

  4. #4digger242j2010-10-23 11:40

    Yeah, I figured there mustn't have been any available, or they'd already been expended. Not much more you can do then, except wait for the fire department. That's what insurance companies are for. (I do hope it was insured.) What was the cause?

  5. #5Sam_French2010-10-23 15:55

    Thank Goodness you are ok. Were you in the machine when the fire started? I am going to guess the fire was caused my hydraulics perhaps the drive motor for the cutter head. I hope all is well. Sam

  6. #6positrack2010-10-23 16:24

    aye was in it an it started in the engine compartment we think burst pipe leakin onto turbo

  7. #795zIV2010-10-23 18:15

    Wow, I didn't know they put C-15s in skidsteers. :roll

  8. #8positrack2010-10-23 18:55

    a bit thik here but whats a c 15

  9. #9KSSS2010-10-23 21:19

    Last year I blew a line and sprayed hyd. fluid over the turbo and exhaust manifold while mulching. Instant fire. I immediately lost the ability to raise the loader arms and they had settled down preventing me from opening the door. I was finally able to get the loader arms low enough to open the door and had an extingusher handy and put it out before it was a total. Damage was about 10K.

  10. #10Deereman2010-10-23 21:56

    posi , glad your ok!! too bad about the machine!! KSSS- I bet that was a bit of a scare

  11. #11alrman2010-10-24 00:24

    That's scary stuff ! Good nobody was hurt. Here we use air cabs to keep the operator cool & I've had a few call outs to customers who have been trapped in their cabs. If machine stalls & won't start due to an electrical problem & the loader frame can't lower fully to the ground due to dirt or material under the bucket - you can't open the door to get out ! Always said "what if the machine is on fire or pushing up some ashes from fire & this happens"....... :angel Luckily the people I have 'rescued' haven't been in a life threatening situation. They had rung the dealers & asked for advise & been told to use the emergency exit out the back window - but unless you are built like & can move like Jackie Chan - you haven't got a hope! They should all have an emergency glass breaking tool fitted to them from new or pre-delivery - I've never seen one. If I operated one of these skid steers, I'd want to be able to break that door ASAP in a fire situation - more important than extinguisher.

  12. #12KSSS2010-10-24 01:11

    I was just about to kick the door out. That was going to be my glass break tool. It was a bit concerning.

  13. #13razvy2010-10-26 23:19

    That's why I don't have my cab bolted on my Bobcat , if I have to get out i just push the cab up , I don't wanna get stuck inside if the engine dies or drive train brake etc ,,,and i can lower the bucket.

  14. #14Hendrik2010-10-26 23:57

    Hmmnh, might have to think about upgrading my fire extinguisher, I have a small one in the truck but.........

  15. #15digger242j2010-10-27 06:14

    The way I'm reading that, it's not going to give you full protection in a rollover, is it? I'm not sure I like that tradeoff...

  16. #16bill onthehill2010-10-27 06:42

    If I ran an enclosed cab skid I would have a slag hammer wired inside to break the glass out. They always make the back window the escape hatch but I have seen engine fires make that a no go in a hurry.

  17. #17Darb2010-12-31 10:38

    Pull that rubber seal strip from the main seal in the front door and push the door glass right out! Had to do this once and it worked great! Somehow the glass didn't even break and I put it back in later.

  18. #18dave esterns2010-12-31 11:51

    ah im thinking jcb...if the door wouldnt open for some odd reason you might have a hard time breaking the polycarbonate glass tho. never heard of anyone being trapped in a cab in a fire situation, i would imagine i would find a way out...after all hot flames have a way of motivating people.

  19. #19Hardline2010-12-31 12:19

    Wow that is scary. Glad no one got hurt.Yeah I have climbed out the back of a skid before but it was not fun. On a side not though. To die in a fire is not as bad as you would think. Little story to go with this statement. I used to race sprint cars. A buddy of mine had an engine blow and it set the engine oil on fire. You typically can not get out without taking of the steering wheels in these cars. In the firery panic my buddy could not get the quick release off. The track emergency crew was not prepared to go into the fire. My buddy tried to get out several times without removing the steering wheel but could not and gave up setting back down in the car and accepted the firey death. Other racers seeing this ran in and grabbed him and drug him out of the car. He lived and had 3rd degree burns over 75% of his body. His fire suit was long gone by the time the other drivers had gotten him out. Maybe took less than 30 seconds for all this to happen. My buddy after recovering was telling me that he could feel some pretty good heat like you were standing close to a hot campfire but that it was not excruciating pain like you would think it would be. I was not at the track this night but was told this by other drivers. I have quit racing now and just play with some old pulling tractors. JJ

  20. #20DGODGR2010-12-31 14:32

    Bummer! I noticed that you have mulching head on that machine. I have heard of a few of those machines going up in flames. Despite the possible hydraulic sourced fires I was told that the large amount of flammable wood chips and dust (which seem to get everywhere) can be a fire hazard too.

  21. #21Darb2010-12-31 22:11

    digger242j, I wonder if it would make much difference if I took the nut off and used a pin to keep it down. Then maybe it would serve both safety issues? Just a thought.

  22. #22Lil' Puss2011-01-01 11:48

    Ditto...

  23. #23greyim2011-02-10 00:00

    scarey

  24. #24Captn2012-10-30 23:34

    I'm now going to mount a fixed 4 bottle system on my BC 853 C with stainless tubing all through the engine compartment. Have 2 extinguishers in the cab already. If there is ever a fire, the squibs will trigger the system and kill the fire or at least knock it down where I can get out. I also Do Not bolt down my cab and can push it up to get out. The 4 bottle system can also be manually triggered just in case the squib doesn't react. The 4 bottle system has a different chem/agent in each bottle. I will put out any type of fire including Magnesium, electrical, fuel, etc. When it's your bacon that is at risk of getting fried, it's time pull the pin and jump. Captn

  25. #25OzDozer2012-10-30 23:43

    Hose bursts onto turbos and manifolds are a guaranteed way of getting a serious fire in a hurry. It pays to install turbo and manifold shields if it's possible, to reduce fire potential. We had a huge Demag excavator catch fire in the Super Pit goldmine in Kalgoorlie some years ago. It burnt to a crisp - $3M worth! :crying:

  26. #26JDOFMEMI2012-10-31 20:03

    It does pay to have all the turbos shielded, but I have seen a well sheilded one go up in flames when a steering hose got a pinhole leak in it that was aimed exactly at the very small gap in the shielding. Burned a pretty new 40 ton Cat truck to a crisp.

  27. #27durallymax2012-10-31 22:48

    We have the poly windows in all of our Cats. The C series is nice with the two quick release handles to pop the whole door off since it is a frameless door. The B series have a rip cord like the back window, except we cant get them to stay in. Thought somebody was pulling the cords then the other day the one window fell out with the cord still in. Replacing them with the glass windows which are glued in and putting a glass hammer in them. Should be able to kick the 3 piece glass window out though. The emergency hydraulic dump would help drop the boom in some cases but enough times something will prevent it from going all the way down. The Rear escape always made me laugh. Usually your fire is going to start at the engine, wrong way to be going for that. Tiny hole too. I was actually thinking of what it would be like to be trapped in a skid steer fire the other day. Im claustrophobic as it is and that idea didn't help much. Kinda helpless in there. The unbolted cab idea would work for most machines. The C series Cat cabs are sealed floor and all though so that would scratch that idea. The front door pops off quickly though. I see on our series 2 they changed the handles to red. Maybe to keep people from touching them?

  28. #28NCPIPELINE2012-11-01 14:06

    Damn, gets me thinkin