Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bil jax man lift power options

Thibs53 · 2013-06-28 20:26

Bought a BIL JAX man lift 4725a model and have a question. This unit is powered by four 6 volt batteries 24volts DC and charged with a 24 volt DC charger. I would like to replace the battery power system with something else such as a 24 volt generator, gas or propane, or some other power. Any ideas is appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1BillG2013-06-28 20:55

    Probably the simplest thing to do would be leave the electrical system in place (future resale) and add a small engine hydraulic power unit. This way you could tap in to the system (using a check valve of course) and power it with the small engine. Essentially you would have the same thing just a different power source. You would have to keep the batteries charged for the electrical controls but the demand would be quite low. Adding a small 24 volt generator would keep the batteries up. One draw back would be not being able to control the engine from the basket (unless you add controls, a lot of extra work) but a stop start remote switch could be doable.

  2. #2willie592013-06-28 21:19

    If I'm not mistaken BilJax uses two 24V electric motors driving a pump. Operating one motor/pump gives you low speed, kick in the other pump gives you high speed. These two functions (hi/low speed) are important since the controls are not proportional. Figuring in the cost of a gas engine driving a pump, you'd also have to figure out a way to obtain hi and low speed and the valving required to do that. Also, I don't know if the BilJax is an open center system. If it's not, you'd have to figure out how to deal with that unless you use a (more expensive) variable displacement pump as opposed to a gear pump. All these changes can be done, my only question would be would the cost for components to do it be worth it compared to maintaining 4 golf cart batteries.

  3. #3BillG2013-06-28 21:32

    I got interrupted (damn phones). Also to add to this, remember that any modifications to an aerial lift that causes injuries or damage is your responsibility. That said, if it's for yours and only your use there is not much anyone can say or do except yourself (kind of important though) and whomever is working below, just a thought.

  4. #4morning star2016-06-13 18:16

    Willie59 I have a 3637T and the boom will not raise. the outriggers will raise and lower slowly. I changed the fluid and filter but not much help/ Can you assist with suggestions? bob

  5. #5cancrusher12016-06-22 02:58

    I have using it, their some technical issue to resolve of this electric motor pump.

  6. #6Martin’s farm2025-02-13 18:29
  7. #7Martin’s farm2025-02-13 18:30

    I have been looking for the same thing for my Bil-Jax lift. Just now beginning to look into it.

  8. #8qball982025-02-13 21:38

    Can I ask what you are trying to accomplish by replacing the battery system with a generator other than doing away with the batteries? I have the haulotte version of this lift and if your are just wanting to not have to worry about the batteries going dead while your are using it you can plug it in and still keep using it and it will charge the batteries just not as fast as it does with it powered down.