Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bio Hydraulic oil.

Innocent bystander · 2024-07-24 12:16

Is there a way to identify(determine) if machine has bio oil vs mineral(regular) hydraulic oil. What leads us to question the oil is that after some oil leaks out on the floor it seems to dry up by the following day. I have run into this on a few machines. In particular today is with a JCB 270T. Could not find anything on the interweb, A call to JCB with SN was no help. Any ideas? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Coaldust2024-07-24 12:42

    Water soluble PAGs, which are marketed as fire-resistant hydraulic oils, can evaporate like that. They have a unique smell to them. I can’t think of an easy way to identify them in the field. Vegetable oil based bio hydraulic fluids have a rancid smell and they stain painted surfaces.

  2. #2IceHole2024-07-24 16:24

    Wish I new what my excavator had. Smells like refrigerant oil, almost yellow/tan.color, heavier than engine oil (seperated and sank to the bottom in the tote I dumped it in) and super flammable but sizzles while burning.

  3. #3Innocent bystander2024-07-24 16:26
  4. #4IceHole2024-07-24 22:00

    Yup, looked like that.