Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Black dirt or sticky wet clay?

jjhdozing ยท 2015-05-06 21:05

I'm building up a pad for a new house the front of the house needs 1' of fill and the back needs 2' to 3' of fill. Problem is I there is no good clay anywhere on the property. On the property there is an old lagoon I've been taking the burms down with the scraper and hauling it in the full areas around the house and its nothing but black dirt but it has good moisture. Once you get past the 3' of black dirt it turns to a wet sticky blueish grey clay. I Need help cause I'm not sure what to do? Use the black dirt fill that has good moisture or the sticky wet clay? Any info is much help!

Replies4
  1. #1245dlc2015-05-06 21:43

    I'd use the sticky clay for fill and then cover it over with the black topsoil. Are you using a wheeled tractor and scraper or are you using a 'tracked' tractor or a dozer to pull the scraper? If you strip a large enough area and pile the topsoil out of the way you could always disc up the clay and let it dry out in the sun but you might have to repeat the process to get enough clay. Post some pictures if you could it makes it much easier to come up with suggestions.

  2. #2jjhdozing2015-05-06 22:03

    I'm using a 9400T deere track tractor and Ashland 15 yard scraper. I'm just not sure that clay is going to work well loading/unloading it's pretty wet stuff

  3. #3jjhdozing2015-05-06 22:06

    Also id like to keep going on this and get it done asap and move on. Not really wanting to haul some in and let it dry and so on unless I have to. If I would haul the whole thing in with this wet clay and pack it how long until they can pour concrete on it?

  4. #4245dlc2015-05-07 14:04

    Well if you pack it good enough with a good heavy sheepsfoot compactor like the towable kind you'd be able to prepare a gravel base and pour concrete, but again if it's real wet gummy stuff it'll take quite a few passes before you get good enough compaction that it won't settle.