Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Estimating silt fence for my grading job in Georgia area. Any rough estimate ideas?

Mountainmover ยท 2015-05-06 16:46

Hello. I have to come up with a quick estimate for some silt fence installation. I've got an old case trencher and I have a cat compact track loader 268b that has high flow and I can rent a trencher attachment. What price per foot is decently competitive. It's in a sloped but clear grassy field. I would like an overall cost per foot for material and installation. And then maybe a breakdown of silt fence cost and then install cost. Might get away with wooden post silt fence. But might need the option of steel post and wire backed fence. Any help is appreciated!

Replies15
  1. #1monster762015-05-06 19:07

    The silt fence in my neck of the woods using the standard 3 foot tall stuff runs me about 2.60 a foot assuming you can put about 1000 ft a day id like to be some where in between the 3.70 to 4.10 a foot range to cover your trencher ctl with op and a laborer plus material obviously ground conditions make a huge difference if you have to spend allot of time trenching more so than tou thought the number has to go up accordingly

  2. #2monster762015-05-06 19:09

    I use the wood stuff for everything btw

  3. #3dayexco2015-05-06 19:26

    give me your material cost give me your labor cost give me your equipment rental/purchase costs... give me your fuel cost. give me your office overhead... give me the profit you want to have when completed.. then i can help you.

  4. #4CM19952015-05-06 21:12

    After you figure this, what is the going rate for installation in your area? Your competition may be giving it away and there is no sense in chasing them down the rabbit hole or it may be a profit center.

  5. #5stumpjumper832015-05-06 21:31

    around me its all silt sock, a lot easier to install and very reasonable priced. If 2 guys and a 4 wheeler cant do several miles a day something is wrong.

  6. #6CM19952015-05-07 07:03

    The silt sock is gaining approval as a replacement for silt fence around here as well. Like you said, much easier to install, move and remove.

  7. #7buckfever2015-05-07 17:38

    Around here the silt fence with steel post ( we call it super silt fence) is all but obsolete. If 36" fence won't cut it the dep has you use silt sock of different sizes depending on slope and disturbed area. The guys around here that do install silt fence use one of those walk behind skidloaders with a trencher and if you buy the fence charge 1.00 a foot to install. At that price we don't even try to do it our selves. I just got prices for a couple of jobs for blown in place silt sock. 12"-3.65lf , 18"-7.25lf ,24"-9.75lf, and 32"-13.65. This is in my area so I don't know how labor and competition affect the prices around you.

  8. #8390eric2015-05-07 22:33

    Buck fever. We are in the same area don't know how but my owner says he makes more if we install super silt fence. Changes every job to it. Can't see how it's cheaper than silt sock. Only thing with the sock is its a pain to move around if you got dig under it and it's a long piece. Just need to plan right and have them stop and start the sock right there

  9. #9redneckracin2015-05-08 09:09

    Sock is only cheap when you can buy it on the pallet, DEP LOVES the stuff here in PA. We haven't installed fence in a couple years unless it was around an inlet. The bigger than 12" sock is blown in. That stuff is expensive, but I have rarely seen it fail if it was designed correctly. I have also seen 30" or 36" stacked in a pyramid to get a better height and retention area in a steep area. The critical thing with fence is the make sure that the fabric is keyed in, otherwise its just a yard ornament. They make a skidsteer attachment that installs the fence and all you do is drive in the posts.

  10. #10buckfever2015-05-08 18:29

    I can't see how super silt is cheaper to install the silt sock with the price of labor being what it is:beatsme I don't mind putting in super silt because 90% of the work can be done with a machine. Just a little work tying the filter fabric to the fence. If a pallet of regular 36" fence shows up I would just as soon dump diesel on it and light it on fire.

  11. #11CM19952015-05-08 20:58

    What is super silt fence? Not familiar with the term.

  12. #12390eric2015-05-08 21:48

    CM, it's wired back fence Drive in aluminum post with chain link fence then attach the fabric to the chain link and back fill. It is usually used where slopes are being built with fill. Usually 10 feet and above we use super silt fence. It's a lot stronger if you get a wash out. Buck fever. When we do use sock it's blown in on site , a sub- contractor does it,and usually it's 3 18" stacked up like a triangle. So say 7.25 a foot for 18". If you have 1000 ft for one run that's 3 stacked 18"s that turns into $21 bucks a foot. Think he charges 8 or 9 a foot to install super silt fence. So I can see how it can be cheaper sometimes. I use an excavator to put in 36" fence. Just gotta take your time. Broken more wooden stakes with a sledge than a machine.

  13. #13Mountainmover2015-05-19 15:10

    Does anyone have any video is the new super sick system legal for use in georgia? And the cost of material is? Be the cost of installation is? Thanks!

  14. #14CM19952015-05-19 19:21

    In my area I can get wire backed, steel post, DOT Class A installed for $3.50-4.00 a foot. I usually put a buck on top of that.

  15. #15PipeGuy2015-05-30 21:57

    I use a Burchland Silt Fence Plow then put in the post afterwards. It is the highest quality fence to install. It gives me the option to shorten post spacing where necessary such as high concentrate flow areas. I use a Paslode cordless staple gun to fasten the lathe to the stake. When we have a large amount to do, I have timed how much we can install and it was over 1000' per hour. I have about $.75 per foot material and my price varies as to how much to install