On a dozer with a 6 way blade and an adjustable top link like the new cats, does pushing the top of the blade out help with fine grading ability? Seems like having the cutting edge perpendicular to the ground would make machine less likely to dig in with a blade of dirt. Thanks
You have it wrong. Pushing the top of the blade forward helps the blade to dig in, while moving the top of the blade back helps it to slide along the ground without digging in so much.
Agreed. Also with it laid back you carry more material which in turn makes it easier to control for grading.
Well I got your reply just in time. I was about to start spreading roadbase so I checked the top adjustment, it was pretty much all the way out. I had a heck of a time last time trying to grade with this machine so I took your advice and adjusted the blade maxed out to the bottom of the threads(pretty much pulling the top all the way back) I guess it worked or I just got alot better because it took only a couple of passes and it looked way better than the last time i tried to grade with that tractor. Thanks alot for the new knowledge.
Something else to think about on dozers with the adjustable tilt link. Setting it to one extreme or the other does restrict the tilting ability. Just something to know.